Topic

Help with planning a southern Utah trip in early June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help with planning a southern Utah trip in early June

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I have never been to southern Utah; are there areas that can be done early summer? If I go Spring Break or Thanksgiving I face having to fly due to time constraints, which I'd really like to avoid if possible. Christmas could be an option if early summer is not advisable,but weather could pose a driving problem coming from TX. I'd like to see several areas while I'm there since it's a long way from home. Can anyone recommend a good general guidebook or website they've found useful? I've read about Kelsey and his guidebooks :), and I did order "Canyon Country Hiking and Natural History" Barnes, F. L.
    As always,
    Thanks!

edited to shorten content.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Zion in early June was hot on the mesas but cool in the canyons. A day trip up the narrows shouldn't require a wetsuit but you will need a stout hiking pole, good shoes with mesh as they will be submerged 85% of the time. Neat trip though. Bryce maybe nice depending on snowpak this year.

The Canyonlands Chesler park area is dry but a parking lot is central to this area, so a trip around it, using your car for emergency water is possible.

Looking like a dry winter for the entire Western USA right now however.

(ed: caps)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools