Topic

WM Flash Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals WM Flash Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Hermits Hut has WM Flash pants on sale for 139.00. I just got a pair. This is a good deal seeing as they will be priced at $175 for 2012.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Just remember that this is the same price as a pair of GooseFeet Down Pants!

My pants include:

– Adjustable Drawstring Waist

– Elastic Ankles

– Your choice of 20d shell colors: Black, Gray, Forest Green, Yellow, Royal Blue, and Red.

– 3.5oz of 900 fill down (additional ounces are $10)

– Custom sized based on your specific body type and dimensions.

Email to order: [email protected]

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Just remember that this is the same price as a pair of GooseFeet Down Pants!

You really do need to get your website updated with your full product list Ben.

I, for one, find it rather hard to buy gear that is not even listed on a website. No idea what it looks like. No idea how you do cuffs. No idea how you baffle. No idea about anything at all.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

The direct page to the HH page for the pants is: http://www.hermitshut.com/wemoflapnt.html. It looks like they only have medium and XL in stock.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

Good thing I ordered mine from goosefeet before I saw this thread :)

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

John,

New website coming in the next few days :)

The main reason that I don't list my all my products is that I'm already getting plenty of orders for pants. I have made 5 pairs in the last week!

But, don't despair, the pants will be listed on the new website.

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Good to hear Ben.

I have been going back and forth for two hiking seasons on whether to buy the MB or WM pants. I am all about the cottage industry and look forward to being able to check out your gear!

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

I'm interested in seeing your new website with your full suite of products too.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks for posting that reminder on your pants Ben!

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Thx for letting me know Ben. If the Flash pants aren't as dialed in as I want them to be, I'll definitely take a look at your new site and consider a custom pair from you.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Do you have any photos of the pants you make?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Thanks Anna!

Here is another picture of a couple pairs. These are stuffed pretty full, so it makes it hard to see the ankle elastic.

pants

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

There's no reason to buy a commercially made pair of down pants. WIth Ben, you truly get custom fit, the best down fill weight and fill power, the lightest materials (he's done cuben down pants in the past). He has a stellar price point too (cheaper than commercially available pants at the moment)

I've had my pair for over a year now, and we just picked up a pair for my gf. I also have a pair of his down socks, which I've carried on every trip since their purchase

10 degrees and toasty warm!
    pantsdown

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Don't tell my wife I posted this…we love them. We refer to them as our 'inferno pants' since they're so toasty.

Down Pants

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

That seems like some pretty big baffles… in regards to their height. How could the down possibly not stay in place and not end up in big clumps at the bottom of each baffle. Seems highly unlikely they are so overstuffed that the goose down does not just all end up at the bottom of those five baffles. Seems to me like the pants should have at least 1/3rd (if not 50%) more baffles in order to keep the goose down in place.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

I know Dan and his wife were early adopters of Ben's pants, so he might have changed the specs since then, but my 1 year old down pants, and my gf's 1 day old down pants both have 5" baffles. I do not notice down migration, nor am I worried. These are part of my sleeping system…I don't hike in them. So when I'm getting horizontal and catching Z's, down migration is non existent. When I walk around camp, I haven't noticed down ending up at the bottom of the baffles.

If you were really worried, I'm sure you could specify baffle height.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

For 3.5 ounces of 900 fill down, do you guys use these pants for really cold weather? I have little experiences winter camping but my ex light jacket only has 1.8 ounces of 900 fill down and it is comfortable to me to freezing with appropriate layers but I don't really find my legs cold. My feet yes, but not my legs. In what situations do you guys use your pants? thanks!
    -Sam

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

My sleeping quilt is ~35F rated with 7.6oz of down and I find it good to that temp when sleeping with base layers on.

When I add my Goosefeet down pants (3.0oz of down I think), MB Alpine Light parka (4.3oz down) and some warm socks then I'm good to about 23-25F. This full combo is heavier than just a warmer quilt, but I'm usually not camping in these temps so on most trips I can just use the 14oz quilt and my Montbell Ex-Light vest if need be.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

John,

Konrad is correct, Dan's pants were just about the first pair that I made (about 16 months ago). They only had 6 baffles, I believe, where now, for the standard weight of 3.5oz of down, I put in 8 baffles. I do 7 baffles if the weight of down is increased to 4.5oz or more, or the size of the pants is pretty small (Konrad's girlfriend's pair).

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Ben: Konrad is correct, Dan's pants were just about the first pair that I made (about 16 months ago). They only had 6 baffles, I believe, where now, for the standard weight of 3.5oz of down, I put in 8 baffles. I do 7 baffles if the weight of down is increased to 4.5oz or more, or the size of the pants is pretty small (Konrad's girlfriend's pair).

Thanks for the info Ben. I sent you a private message a couple days ago, let me know if you did not get it.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Got it. PM sent.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools