Topic

Khufu eVent Shelter from Locus Gear, Japan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Khufu eVent Shelter from Locus Gear, Japan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

An eVent shelter is now available… the new Khufu eVent Shelter

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how I look at it with my recent desire to simplify) I won't be buying it. Just wanted to give the heads up to others, that you can now buy a full-size eVent shelter. (this one is about the same size as a Duomid)

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Just want to chime in and say I had a good expeirence with Locus gear when I ordered the duo pole extenders. Solid workmanship and customer service.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Jotaro is a craftsman and a perfectionist. He is constantly testing out his gear himself, way up in the Japan Alps and in the rest of the world, all year. And the workmanship is flawless (his offerings wouldn't sell in Japan were they any less). I can't afford one of his beautiful shelters at the moment, but I very much want to buy one of his Khufu shelters when I can, not just for having a well-made shelter, but for the joy of having something so beautiful. When I saw in person his cuben Khufu back in 2010 when he, Glen, and a number of other UL hikers in Japan went hiking west of Tokyo, I was entranced by how "jewel-like" it was. You have to see one to see what I mean. And if you do any of your own sewing and patterning, you will fall in love with the craftsmanship, it's that special.

Plus, you don't have to wait forever to get one of his items.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

They never went away. RAB has been selling them.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Yes, I know, and for quite a while, at that. But the Summit Extreme is not quite sized for the average person's needs in backpacking. It is an alpinist's tent with low headroom. Garnered BPL's Highly Recommended rating in 2007.

The eVent Khufu is something for the rest of us.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Migeul,

Had a look but I dont see any specs.

Looks interesting,

Stephen

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Using Xe.com as a currency converter the Khufu eVent Shelter comes to $596.81.

Ain't cheap but she sure is pretty!

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Here is the eVent Khufu's page, with specs.

eVent is expensive. But actually it's not bad for a shelter made in Japan.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

It's a great looking shelter, and likely a great use of the fabric. But until a $1 = $1 = $1, I suspect most will be just fine with the MLD Super Mid at half the cost.

On another note, I wonder if GE relaxed the restrictions on making "tents" out of eVent? Last I had heard it was a no-no and that's why Rab calls theirs a "bivi".

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I don't see the point of eVent as a fly. Surely its strength is the breathability, and you would use it on a fully sealed shelter?
    Maybe i'm not seeing it properly.

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

For Info: the Rab Summit Bivvy has as much headroom as my Hilly Unna – Rab measure to the top of the door, not the apex of the tent (so I read…I've not measured it). I can easily sit up in mine.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

I can see use in a fully-enclosed 'mid (or any other single-wall shelter) when buttoned up and pitched to the ground. It's bound to breathe better than sil in a similar environment.

If it's off the ground and ventilated, though, that would definitely change things.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

GE has jurisdiction in the States and probably the UK, but not in Japan. I doubt very much that Japan would ever allow a non-Japanese company to dictate legal matters within Japanese borders.

Locus Gear has other iterations of the Khufu, too… silnylon, cuben, and tyvek.

In Japan very often you are camping way above treeline on very steep terrain, on very small sites, with incredible winds, and little chance of descending to a safer place (because likely as not you won't find a suitable site due to the steepness of the terrain) so pitching tight to the ground is often necessary. Having a breathable canopy keeps the condensation down when pitched low. Humidity in Japan is very high so condensation happens easily and often. A significant portion of mountain tents in Japan have breathable canopies, even a special Gore-tex tent fabric developed specially in Japan for the Japanese market, called X-Trek.

David Ure

@familyguy

This mid is most intriguing. I was under the belief that GE frowned upon use of eVent as a shelter material if were are able to sit up because of fire retardation laws. Unless these only apply to Canada and the US. Consider the ID Wedge, for example.

I think I want one but this would break my New Years resolution…..

Edit: Miguel answered my question above.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

That's what I figured Miguel, but then why would GE allow the sell of eVent by it's vendors to Japanese companies? Or does it not and this is "backdoored"? :-)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Chris, that I don't know. Sorry. But consider that many of the world's best outdoor fabric are pioneered and designed in Japan. Pertex, for example is now a Japanese company. And Mont-Bell is a leader in lightweight and waterproof outdoor fabrics. Perhaps the fabric that Jotaro is using was improved upon here? There might be differences in the way it was manufactured.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools