Topic

2012 UL Big Boy Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2012 UL Big Boy Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I really like to tinker with my gear list and it is simply very fun and a hobby for me. This is my Go-To(3-Season)list but as you all know every trip is different because of Seasonal & Geographical locations like going to Yosemite where bear canisters are required or later in the season when its colder and more clothes or layers are a must. Everybody has there own comfort level and this mine in a 6'3 Big Boy frame… The Gear List is in my profile..Feedback appreciated good or bad with maybe different options. I am always willing and wanting to learn from the excellent community.

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice list, Jay. Two quick questions for you:

1. How long are the shoulder straps on that pack? One of my greatest problems with most of the UL packs is that the shoulder straps are too short and the buckle ends up in my armpit. I've stuck with Granite Gear packs primarily because of this. They seem to have the longest shoulder straps in the business – especially on the component-based packs. Does the MLD have longer than typical straps?

2. How do you fit in a standard sleeping bag? I'm typically size XL in most clothing these days and they are all coffin-like. The measurements on most are barely 60" girth. Even the "wides" are only 65" or 66" and still feel pretty snug. The MontBell bags have been a gift – almost TOO wide – but they are not anywhere near your 18oz WM bag in terms of weight.

Mostly just curious if you feel like you're sacrificing some comfort to get those weights or if they really work for you. Thanks for posting this up!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Curt, My MLD Exodus shoulder straps are 18 inches long and it fits quite good and I have no complaints except when I go to Yosemite I take Bearikade Scout and I do have to fuss with shoulder straps and chess straps to get the perfect fit.

The WM Highlight is my go to bag but I will not hesitate to take my Nunatak Alpinist 20 degree bag if I am going to higher elevations or cold weather is in the forecast. I have had that Highlight since 2006 a great bag!

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools