Topic

Breathing cold air. Lump in throat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Breathing cold air. Lump in throat?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I went on my first multi-night winter hike last week. My lungs and breathing felt great! However, after being back indoors for a few days, I developed an annoying "lump" in my throat and it was kinda sore. It's the kind of lump that makes you want to swallow all the time because it feels like something is in your throat.

Is there anything to the idea that the difference in temperature and humidity would cause this? Or should I be looking elsewhere for causes?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Travis, even in -40 F. weather I never experienced that. If you're not coming down with some virus and this feeling goes away try breathing through a mask next time you're in very cold weather.

P.S. There are actually masks with copper mesh layered inside them made to pre-heat cold air. The mesh gets warmed by your exhaled air so you're re-using your own heat. Cabela's used to sell them. I have one for extreme cold weather sleeping.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I have braces (or is it Orthodontics in the US) and once the temp goes below -10c I need to use a mask as the cold air plays havoc with the metal in my mouth.

I have one with copper like Eric mentions.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Cold air can do this. It can also aggravate damage from GERD that you may not know you
    have.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

David,
    My dad has GERD and is on medication for it. As he does, I also enjoy coffee, spicy foods, and beer, which I know can aggravate and cause GERD. I'm aware of this and am monitoring it. (personally, not professionally).

Can cold air do this alone aside from GERD?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Can cold air do this alone aside from GERD?
    I believe so. Air at -20 C is very dry. When you are panting up a hill in such dry cold air you can actually dry out the tissues in your throat when inhaling enough to cause some minor damage or swelling which appears later.

Cheers

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I can see I won't be any help. I thought it was just the end of puberty and your voice was cracking…… ;-)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Once in a while my voice would crack when I was teaching high school. My comment was always, "Well, I guess I must be entering puberty – finally!"
    And the class would crack up, much to the annoyance of the staid woman teaching English in the next room. (But then SHE was truly entering menopause so the grouchiness came naturally. :o)

Raquel Rascal
    Spectator

@flutingaround

I'm trying to find the mask with the copper wire that you mentioned and having problems. Would you be able to point me to the name of the product?

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Exertion in cold air gives me a lump in the throat and phlegm. Always has. Every winter I have to acclimate to it and then it seems I'm fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools