Topic

BIVY FOR HOT FLORIDA WEATHER…..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BIVY FOR HOT FLORIDA WEATHER…..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

I have been using off and on a HEAVY MSS military Bivy I had around since last year. For my Scout activities the weight was ok and I kinda dealt with it. I loved the quick deployment of the bivy and my micro tarp, BUT I hated how hot it was in the summer.

I'd like to use a bivy in the hot Florida weather and in the colder Florida weather such as we are having now. Is there a bivy that can do both?

It would also be great if this "fantasy" bivy would have some kind of bug screen incorporated in it.

If there is nothing of the sort, some suggestions on fabric choices for a hot humid weather bivy would be great for a MYOG project.

Thanks all,

Ernie the Eyeball

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Don't know about cold, but I've got a TiGoat bivy that is all mesh on top, but still a bivy (not a net tent) that I love for warmer weather. So completely enclosed, but heavenly with a light breeze blowing.

Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

I just looked at the TiGoat…and it looks pretty nice…

ernie

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I use the MLD Bug Bivy in warmer weather. Similar to the TiGoat with maybe a bit more headroom when tied up.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

A bivy is a great MYOG project. My wife made me one with silnylon for a floor, Momentum .90 for the top, and a large mesh panel over the face and chest. Works well in all kinds of conditions, though for Florida I'd want the entire top to be mesh.

That said, given my limited experience on the Florida Trail, I'd want a tarptent or a hammock down there.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I have used a few bivys and the one I use the most is the SMD Meteor, especially for warm weather combined with bugs.

It doesn't provide as much protection as other bivys, but I find most other bivys intolerable in anything but cold weather.

An all mesh bivy would be better in hot Florida weather, but they have even less protection from the weather so would have to be combined with a tarp big enough to keep the spray off.

Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

But what i'm looking for is something that if I had to close it all up, I could just lie there in the rain. I do intend to use a micro tarp with it…but thats about it.

I guess a bivy with a retractable cover over a net top. That would work. But I'd still want the most breathable top fabric for those moments in the rain.

I have a ID Bugabivy…all netting with a silnylon bottom.I actually love it, But it has to be used with a tarp if rain is expected.

I guess I could make something similar to a MSS military bivy but out of more breathable material and some sort of top netting.

ernie the eyeball

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

"But what i'm looking for is something that if I had to close it all up, I could just lie there in the rain. I do intend to use a micro tarp with it…but thats about it. "

Ack, in Florida? Far too hot and humid for a waterproof/breathable bivy, in my opinion. Nothing that is waterproof enough to hold up against a downpour is remotely breathable enough to keep your sleeping bag from getting soaked from condensation. YMMV. I would be miserable.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

none of the bivies you mentioned would be as good in the rain … youll need to go event basically … and even then a small tarp is recommended

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I may be wrong, but I think Event would be too hot for Florida in most situations. A tarp over a highly breathable or bug net bivy would be a better choice as you can still get air to flow through to get the required ventilation.

I do agree that a Event/waterproof bivy could practical in cold drier conditions though.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Ernie —

Oware sells a "Bivysack Hot Weather" that seems to come as close as possible to your requirements for flexibile protection against bugs, blowing rain, and cold while allowing adjustment for humid or cold conditions. I don't have personal experience with that bivy, but here's an excerpt from its description at Oware's website:

"Bivysack Hot Weather

"Lots of ventilation, yet inexpensively keep the bugs out. Full top of noseeum netting, bottom of UNCOATED 1.1 ounce ripstop nylon for maximum airflow. Flip it over for extra protection from wind and weather."

Above excerpted from the link below (where you may have to click "on-line shopping" to get to the products, then select "bivysacks" which takes you to page containing link to the "Bivysack Hot Weather"):

http://www.owareusa.com/

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

Ernie, I'd be interested in hearing more about your "micro tarp" option. I am planning to use a bivy on my upcoming southern tier bicycle tour (San Diego to St Augustine starting Feb. 11th) and was thinking about using a tiny tarp, maybe as small as 3' x 3' to supplement it for rainy weather. If you have some experience with micro tarp options, I hope you will share.

I expect chilly weather for a good bit of the trip, but figure if it gets too hot for the bivy I'll have my wife mail me my tent via general delivery and I'll mail the bivy home.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I figured I'd attach an image of my typical fair weather solo shelter. I have posted similar pictures before.

It shows what I would consider a good UL Florida shelter.

This is an MLD Monk(5×9) tarp with an SMD Meteor. The combination weighs around 16oz with titanium stakes. Weight not including the trekking poles.

This particular pitch is a typical mixed weather pitch. It can easily be dropped to a tight storm pitch in the night should a storm pass through.

It is cramped in storm pitch mode, but if you don't expect much bad weather, you can leave it in a high pitch and shed most spray and block wind.

The combination packs very small. I often find I don't even bother pitching the tarp and instead just sleep in the bivy for bug protection. I'll have the tarp near by ready to be pitched if needed.

If a smaller tarp is used, then a waterproof bivy may be required, something I wouldn't want to use in Florida. You could go with a bigger tarp and nix the bivy, but then bugs are an issue.

Monk Meteor 2

Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

I have been using the MSS bivy for while…alternating with Coleman Kraz tent for about a year now. I also have a tarp from Bearpaw W. Designs that I pair up with a ID Bugabivy.

But I have to say that I enjoy my MSS bivy with micro tarp the best. I got the idea from this website called….lol..

http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/diy/make-an-ultralight-solo-micro-tarp.html

I had a MSS bivy so I made a micro tarp out of a piece of old tent nylon and tried it out. Just loved it.

BUT…the MSS is HEAVY and friggin HOT! in the summer. Thats why I was wanting a "cooler" alternative.

I dont have any pics of me and the MSS Bivy with Micro Tarp…but I will be happy to do so and post.

Thanks again…for all the posts…I am getting alot of ideas…

ernie the eyeball

Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

I am going to a campout this weekend. I will probably have the Bivy and Micro tarp out…I'll try to take pics.

This is where I got the idea. http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/diy/make-an-ultralight-solo-micro-tarp.html

Thanks

ernie

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I am going with the 5' x 5' Mountain Laurel Designs Dog Tarp and the REI minimalist bivy for my upcoming coast to coast bicycle tour. The route is across the southern US from San Diego to St Augustine and starts Feb 11th. I figure that if it doesn't work out as expected, I'll have my wife mail me my Eureka Spitfire 1. Hopefully I won't have any really hot weather.

Dee Nib

@oakleaf

Locale: South East

I would really think about the tarp ideal in Fl, alot of state parks and forest have rules on tieing off of trees,If your caught their can be fines.Nothing will spoil your night faster than to be told you can't use the trees.That also apply to hammocks.So ask,Where ever your planing frist.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools