Topic

SoCal BPLers: Sitton Peak Day Hike Invitation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips SoCal BPLers: Sitton Peak Day Hike Invitation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

SoCal BPLers…

Many of us SoCal BPLers have been talking about getting together for local hikes so I thought I’d get the ball rolling.

On January 28, I’m planning on hiking to Sitton Peak in the San Mateo Wilderness.

Details:

Date – Saturday, Jan. 28, 2012
    Time – 9:00 a.m. start time. (Please try to arrive a little early so we can hit the trail on time)
    Destination – Sitton Peak (3273 Feet elevation, 2150 elevation gain)
    Length of Trip – About 10 miles, round trip.
    Difficulty –Moderate, with a steep incline for the last .5 mile to get to the peak (poles recommended).
    Duration – About 3.5 to 4 hours including some time to enjoy the peak’s view.
    Notes – Bring water and food. There’s no water along the trail. You need an Adventure Pass to park. The candy store across the street from the parking lot usually sells them if you don’t already have one but I recommend getting one in advance.

Directions:

From the 5 Fwy, take the Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74) and head east. After ~20 miles, turn left into the parking lot across the street from the Ortega Oaks Country Cottage (candy store), which is located .5 miles north of the Upper San Juan Campground. The trailhead begins at the Bear Canyon trail, located next to the candy store.

From the 15 Fwy, take the Ortega Hwy (Hwy 74) west about 12 miles (approx. 3 miles past El Cariso Village) to the parking lot mentioned above, which will be on your right.

Come for fun or bring some gear and make this a training hike. It’d be nice to meet some fellow BPLers. Please respond to this thread to let me know if you’re coming or if you have any questions.

Michael
    (SoCal Mike)

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Looks fun! I will likely come!

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Bump for a southern california day hike coming up.

Michael

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Mike, I'm gonna look more into this and get back to you. Sounds fun.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

@Jace and Warren: Hope you can make it. I've done this one before and really enjoyed it.

Spread the word and tell a friend.

Michael

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Mike, I was waiting to talk to my hiking buddy and looks like we are both in. I'll PM with a question. Looking forward to our day out.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Hey,

I recently had to move my Eagle Court of Honor to Jan 28. Thus, I will have to bow out. I do hope that we can get more BPL day and overnight trips going for the SoCal contingent.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Sorry to hear you won't be there Jace. Next time.

BTW – Great going on becoming an Eagle Scout. That is an acheivement.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Jace,

Congratulations on making Eagle. Don't worry, there should be plenty of get togethers to come. Remember, I'm just around the corner from you so whenever you plan a hike, etc. just drop me a line and I'll be glad to go, schedule permitting.

Be on the lookout for a hike up to Santiago Peak via the Holy Jim Trail in February. I'll get around to posting that invitation in the next couple of weeks, I hope. That is my favorite Orange County hike. I have yet to find one more beautiful than that one.

Michael

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Bump for this trip

Please note the NEW START TIME…

By popular demand, we will start the hike at 9 a.m. Please try to arrive early so we can get on the trail on time. Hope you can make it.

Michael

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Final bump. Hope some of you SoCalers can make it. See you Saturday!!

Michael

Jerry Bridgeman
    BPL Member

@jerry2636

Locale: Huntington Beach, Ca.

I will see you there.

Jerry

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Jerry,

Glad to have you aboard! See you Saturday.

Michael

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Wish I could make it out to this one, looks like a good time. I've never been to that area. Maybe on the next one.

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Adan,

We'll catch you next time. I plan on throwing out some more invites to the San Diego/Orange County area. Be on the lookout for an invitation in this forum for the Holy Jim Trail to Santiago Peak–the highest peak in the Santa Ana Mountains. My favorite in the OC area.

Michael

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Michael,

Thanks for organizing this one and getting us out there for a fun day. Too bad you couldn't stay for a visit to the candy store. But I look forward to hikes in the future and having a celebration lunch after. The four of us including John and Jerry made for a great day. And we sure had great views from the top!

I look forward to reading Johns post-hike report. And Jerry, was great running into you after all these years.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools