Topic

Hubba Hubba HP Reinforcement Patches

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hubba Hubba HP Reinforcement Patches

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

"Sometimes you can see a lot just by looking."

Here's a look at both sides of the reinforced corner of my Hubba Hubba HP rainfly.

here

here

Observations

(1) Both sides of the parent fabric are reinforced and the two patches are the same size.
    (2) The internal (proximal?) sides of the patches are rounded.
    (3) The corner web is standard weight 5/8" wide nylon (not grossgrain).
    (4) All sewing is on seams or hems. There are no stitches on single layer parent fabric.
    (5) Patches are bonded to the single layer parent fabric using something other than thread (glue, heat?)
    (6) Patches are about 12 square inches in size.
    (7) There are about 8 stitches per inch where sewn.
    (8) The web is box stitched onto the seam and the stitches are never more than 1/2" in from the edge of the fly.
    (9) It appears that the patches were adhered to the parent fabric before any sewing was done and then, at least partially, folded into the seams and hems when the sewing was done.

I can't weight to test this patch by dropping my 40 pound bucket from the webbing.*

*Attempt at humor.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Looks like twill tape in the photo.
    If so, haven't seen any specs on breaking strengths of twill tapes vs. Grosgrain.
    But comparisons might be pointless, there being so many types of tapes and webbings available to the large manufacturers.
    The original Hubba had nothing so fancy, just triangular patches sewn on. I did a silnylon fly for one and glued the patches on with GE silicone glue before sewing the panel pieces together. It came out quite well, with no sign of delamination. Used a roller, but did not clamp, as recommended by the article on BPL.
    Noticed that all the tapes and buckles on the original Hubba fly were very well made and light, moreso than the stuff available from the MYOG suppliers, so borrowed them for the sil fly.
    Considering the information provided in your theads, I think I will stick to semi-circular patches from now on. If you're bonding and not sewing the circular edge, there is no added difficulty. Because the glue has some 'creep,' I think that may also add a little to the strength before reaching the breaking point.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Samuel,

"Looks like twill tape in the photo"

The pattern looks like twill tape but the thickness feels like standard weight nylon. Strapworks lists a 2000 lb breaking strength for their regular weight 5/8" nylon webbing.

"I think I will stick to semi-circular patches from now on. If you're bonding and not sewing the circular edge, there is no added difficulty."

I agree.

Daryl

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools