Topic

Cabela’s Down Jacket $19.99

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Cabela’s Down Jacket $19.99

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

here

some sizes/colors are on backorder

9 oz. of 550-fill-power Premium Goose Down
    no idea on total weight, but not a bad deal

don't forget to shop through your favorite cash-back site! I think fatwallet is 6% right now

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

From the reviews, looks like it doesn't fit very well. $20 is great though.
    Duane

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I find the vest to be even more impressive. It still has 9 ounces of down like the jacket. It's the same price though, unless you can get a large in graphite.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

that's crazy. seems to be a ton of down (in my mind anyway) when my montbell has like 2. is the 500 fill that much heavier than the 800?

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I have a couple of their vests, and really like them. Not very light though.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

I ordered the vest. If it's too heavy, I'll take it apart and use it as a pattern to create a UL vest. I'll weigh it when it gets here.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I have both, the jacket and the vest from a few years ago. Mine are button up instead of zipper, I prefer the zipper especially in windy conditions. The weight for the vest on my scale is 13 oz, the jacket is 22 oz, but for the price you can't beat it. I put the jacket in my truck so I always have it in the winter for a spare, or incase a friend forgets to bring one.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Thanks Jack. That's not much lighter than my down jacket. I'll eventually take it apart to make a pattern for a lighter version of it, and I'll change the closure to a zipper.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Eugene, it looks like the new version has the zipper. Buttons are nice when you have gloves on, but zippers keep out the cold, just my .02

drowning in spam

@leaftye

I must have the old version. It has snaps. That'll be easy enough to change when I use it as a pattern. My XL weighs 13 ounces on my crude scale. It's bigger than I thought it would be. I'm usually a XXL, so I thought XL would be about right or slightly snug, but it's too big.

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

Funny thing I bought a 650fill Cabellas vest from a consignment shop for $10 or something. It is a size Medium Tall. It fits great, a little long (which is nice) but fits my torso better then some regular length garments. My brother is 6'1" and I am 5'10" but our torso's are the same size…or should I say length, he is more vertically and horizontally gifted than I am.

Any weigh it weighs 12oz, when I checked out Cabellas web sight on account of this post the version that looks exactly like mine is the 550fill tall vest, hmmmm…very interesting. I mean it is embroidered right on the vest in large letters 650 fill as well as tagged 650 on the label. Wonder if they changed it from previous years or if it was a mistake labeling by the manufacturer that has now been fixed. What do I have really 650 or 550…the mystery continues…

Does not really matter really.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Clint, I'm happy with the length, but the girth is too much. I'm about the same height as you, but am much more 'horizontally gifted' than you.

Mine also has 550 fill.

I don't really care either. This vest is coming apart. It doesn't have the weight benefits I was hoping for, and it doesn't compress well at all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools