Topic

Down quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Down quilts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Hi Brian,

I just wanted to check to see how you made out with your FF order for the Vireo and Hyperion and the Quantum Fabric.

Brian Griffith
    Spectator

@03bart

Richard,

I ordered a long Vireo in Quantum. I considered the overfill and decided against it. I also decided against the Hyperion. I was very close to ordering it and only made my decision while I was on the phone with FF… so I’ll probably regret it in the future. But, I had just purchased a Wild Things Primaloft Sweater last Dec and had a hard time justifying spending the money on another high-loft garment, even for a 10 oz weight savings. Plus, I was considering the Cocoon for my high-loft jacket weight reduction to have both synthetic (jacket) and down (bag) insulation.

As I type this, I am waffling again about the Hyperion and may call up FF and see if I order the Hyperion right now while the bag is still in the works if I qualify for the discount!? Ah, such tribulations. ;-)

The Vireo should be here in a week or two so I will post back and let you know how it looks.

B

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Hi Brian,

I purchased one of the Wild Things Primaloft hooded jackets at the clearance at the end of last year as well. Also picked up the 3 versions of the Patagonia Micro Puff Vest, Jacket and Pullover (all 3 very good prices on eBay). Haven’t had a chance to use the synthetics. Though purchased for more ify weather conditions and still do not know how warm they are.

But without question, none of these synthetics have nearly as much loft as the Hyperion. My Hyperion jacket has about 1 1/2″ of loft for both front and back yielding 3″ (possibly more) total loft.

I would suspect the Hyperion to be substantially warmer but, more prone to moisture than the synthetics.

One thing you may wish to do though is to call FF and at least have them put the Hood snaps on the Vireo so that when and if you are ready to order a Volant Hood you can attach it to the Vireo. Marginal amount of weight for the snaps, negligable cost, but can dramatically increase your flexibility.

Rich

Brian Griffith
    Spectator

@03bart

So,

I went ahead and added the Hyperion and Volant hood, both in Quantum, to my order. It’ll slip the delivery a week, but that’s okay.

Thanks for your help, Richard. I’ll report back when it arrives.

Brian

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Hi Brian,

Glad I could be of help. I know it is kind of a large expense but in the grand scheme of things it really won’t be that much. Expecially when you consider the expense of the 3 pieces is on the order of cost of just the BMW or Nunatak Arc System Bags.

You should find it to be a very flexible system, using those components only when needed and leaving those home that you don’t. Enjoy the system and good luck with it.

Look forward to hearing your response upon receipt and that you are happy with the purchase.

Rich

Mike Storesund

@mikes-1

error

David Spellman

@dspellman

http://www.jacksrbetter.com has down quilts in the 24 ounce range for $274 (2.5″ average loft, 750fp down).

The lighter 1.5″ loft, 20 oz down quilt is $219 includes a re-sealable head hole so that the quilt can be worn as a poncho/serape. And, of course, you can form a foot sack with it. It includes a silnylon compression sack that allows it to be stuffed to 7″ x 7″ x 7″. Another version of this quilt was designed with a center bottom slit specifically to be used as an under quilt for a Hennessy Hammock.

david

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools