Topic

Cuben virgin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cuben virgin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

So my Cuben Trailstar is ordered.
    Although i would class myself as a fairly experienced person, i've never used a cuben shelter.
    Any advice welcome.
    Do this, don't do that, etc.
    Use,
    Storage,
    Maintenance,
    etc,
    etc,
    Cheers.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

Is that rain is louder on cubin than it is on sylnylon. The cost I guess too but hey nothing comes without a price.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

I find the sound of raindrops soothing, Kevin.
    That's an upside.
    Cheers. :)

David Ure

@familyguy

You will hate it, Mike. You need to sell it to me post arrival at a significant discount. Alternatively, you could just have it re-routed from Ron to Canada.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Thanks for saving me from a bad experience, Dave.
    I'll call Ron now.

Or maybe next week. ;)

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

You're in for a real treat.

Don't roll/fold it up the same way every time.

Wrinkles really are "character marks." I love seeing them on my cuban – reminds me it's been used.

Store away from UV light.

Setup your shelter the way you want it to be until you take it down. Cuben doesn't stretch – a taut pitch and solid staking mean your shelter's pitch will remain just the way you left it.

Love it forever. :)

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

@ Stephan.
    So what is the best way to pack a cuben tarp? With a sil tarp, i just stuff it into the stuff sack any old way.
    Can you cause long term damage to cuben by repeated folding in the same position?

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

I'm in the same boat. Just received my first cuben equipment, HMG Echo I tarp and a Windrider. From what I've searched about packing cuben, stuffing was the preferred method.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I asked the same questions about stuffing vs folding when I got my cuben tarp. Most stuffed (I do because its easy) and some folded. Nobody had any issues with either technique.

Have fun with the new set up! I expect to see a trip report with this shelter in some fun place soon after it arrives!

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Stuffing is fine.

Folds/rolls can cause creases, potentially harming the integrity of the material. Might be overblown, but something to keep in mind.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

As had others, I asked the same question when I got my first cuben shelter (HMG Echo I).

From that thread, the consensus was fold, then roll to get the most compact shape. Cuben doesn't stuff very small like silnylon.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I normally fold & roll, but I don't think you can really go wrong unless you're aggressively creasing it the same way every time.

Over time it'll become a bit less see thru.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I fold and my Nano packs up to the size of a very small paperback book. Actually, it might be as small as 2 decks of cards side-by-side. No issues thus far. Cuben is a laminate so the likelihood of causing damage by creasing is, IMO, significantly lower than something like sil. Of course it could always delaminate but again, unlikely with the heavier versions.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Thanks guys.
    Seems like it doesn't matter too much how you pack it, but don't be too aggresive?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Seems like it doesn't matter too much how you pack it, but don't be too aggressive?"

That's my credo with cuben. I'm a fold guy, but I don't fold and crease, I just fold, if that makes sense.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Mike wrote:

"So my Cuben Trailstar is ordered … Any advice welcome. Do this, don't do that, etc."

My cuben TrailStar is on order, too.

I have other cuben items, but this will be my first cuben shelter. All of the advice on how to care for one will come in handy. Thanks for sharing.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I own a cuben hammock tarp and it's my understanding that abrasion and fire are it's two greatest enemies. A spark will melt it, and having it rub against something, as a branch etc, or a guyline repeatedly. Both of these are easily avoided.

I don't spend much time on the ground, so I bought a Solomid here off the gear swap,and I'm happy with it. So I tell myself I don't need a cuben Duomid, but one sure would be sweet!!!

Enjoy your TrailStar!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools