Topic

Ultimate mountain camera: Ricoh GR1v

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Ultimate mountain camera: Ricoh GR1v

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Has anyone taken a look at the Ricoh GR1v? I came accross this website which has a discussion on the best camera to use for mountain climbing:

http://www.gdargaud.net/Photo/ClimbingPhotoTips.html

I find that most of his points hold true for backpacking as well. If you don’t feel like reading his page, he concludes that the Ricoh GR1 is the ultimate climing camera because it’s light, small, well made, gives you plenty of user control (quickly set f-stop and exposure compenstaion on dials), and #1 — has a very high quality 28mm wide angle lens.

The GR1v is the latest version of the GR1. The GR1v adds lighted LCD display (GR1 has LCD, just not lighted), manual ISO setting, auto bracketing, lens hood, and the ability to add filters.

Unfortunitly, Ricoh stopped making film cameras a few years back. Now you can only find these cameras on eBay. Prices vary greatly. I was able to pick up the GR1v in mint condition for $370 (+shipping) including filter adapter and skylight filter (about $100 value for the two).

O, and it weights 6oz and uses the same kind of battery that goes in the Black Diamond Ion.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

The GR1-v has a number of great features, including an incredibly responsive shutter for a point-and-shoot camera. However, Ricoh doesn’t sell cameras in the US, so folks here would have to mail order it from overseas, or buy it on eBay.

Ken

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Wow, the GR21 would be worth chasing down for that lens!

I’m very happy with my Contax T3, and if someone wanted a wider lens than its 35, the T2 could fit the bill. Rollei and Minox are also worthy of consideration for their excellent lenses.

Semper film!

brian stein
    BPL Member

@steb5067

For a small camera fiend not wanting to give up quality and user control I can only second the GR1: I am very happy with mine. Sadly it is only available 2nd hand.
    Ive used the GR21: also lovely, although I found the veiwfinder hard to use–eyepoint rather too close for a left eye dominant spectacle wearing person so never bought it. Regret that sometimes–it would make a nice 2nd camera to add to a slr body plus 80-200 lens.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’ll be writing a review on the Ricoh GR Digital, which will be published at BPL.com soon. It has a beautiful lens and the images are extremely sharp.

Bob Gabbart

@bobg

I bought a Ricoh GR1v for my John Muir Trail hike this summer and loved it. The GR Digital looks like something special. Pricey through at $709.43 (399.99 GBP). You can almost get a nice digital SLR for that much. I’m glad it retained the body-type and lens from the GR1 series.

O and a correction for Anonymous above – the GR1v does NOT use the same battery as the Ion.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

I have a Ricoh GR1s film camera and it produces superb pictures. Like Ryan I have been testing a Ricoh GR-D (my review will appear in the UK magazine TGO) and am very impressed.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools