Topic

JMT logistics questions.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT logistics questions.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Any recommendations for a bear cannister? Given the seemingly frequent resupply points, I presume a smaller size such as bear vault 450 would be adequate – yes or no?"

Too many unknown variables here. You have to figure how far you need to go between resupply points and how many miles per day you go. That should help you calculate how many days you have to go on one tankful of food. Then, based on the density of your food, how many days worth of food can you get into that tank (canister).

For a BV 450, I can get only about five days, but that is only me.

"Also is 40 degree quilt adequate for August nighttime temps?"

Part of the time it might be adequate, but most of the time it will not be. Plus, 5% or 10% of the time, you will have a cold night. As a result, I believe most JMT hikers will have at least a 30 F arrangement, and many will have 20 F.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"As a result, I believe most JMT hikers will have at least a 30 F arrangement, and many will have 20 F."

A 30 degree bag plus your clothing should do the trick. You also want to make sure you have a decent pad underneath, e.g. a Thermarest Prolite 3 or equivalent. There are many to choose from, and I am not specifically recommending a Thermarest.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Susan,

I suggest North to South. Your approximate mileage between resupply(On trail) is:
    From Yosemite Valley
    25 Tuolumne Post office
    35 Red's Meadow
    50 Muir Trail Ranch
    110 Whitney Portal

Use the northern half to acclimate and get used to your pack (carrying far less food).

The southern half really calls for a full-sized bear can. If you don't expect needing a bear can again soon, just rent a Garcia can from the ranger station in Yosemite and send it back from Lone Pine.

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

In my 2004 JMT hike, I resupplied @ TM, Reds Meadows, & MTR. My itinerary was longer (17 days). I was pretty light with my food until I got to MTR. Had 9 days of food then. Couldn't quite get it all in the canister. Had a Ursack for the overflow food and other smellables. Pack sure felt heavy climbing up to Evolution Valley.

If you have a mechanical device to purify water, things can always go wrong. I had a filter break on my on my 1998 JMT hike. Had Polar Pure as a backup for the rest of the hike. A friend of mine used AquaMira drops entirely on his 1999 JMT hike. He didn't tighten the caps properly and one of the bottles leaked out. His last few days he had to drink water from natural sources. He fortunately didn't get sick.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

The dirty little secret that the Forest Service won't tell you…

You can drink the water. Just don't shake hands or share food with another hiker.

I'm over simplifying, but extensive field studies by UC Davis MD. RW Derlet found almost no Giardia in the Sierra, and other pathogens were very low except below areas of stock use. Also, you don't generally have to kill every last organism. It takes a fair number to overwhelm your immune system.

That said, I treat all the water on family hikes. When I hiked the JMT solo I treated all water in Yosemite, then only about half the time past there. Just in case.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Thank you all for your great advice! I am 90% sure I'll be hiking SOBO. Even with the long climb out of Yosemite, since I'm coming from sea level, I think that will be better for me to acclinate more slowing to the altitude.

I'm going to target the first 3 weeks in August for my trip adn I'll probably take my katabatic gear 30 F down quilt.

I will definitely check out all the suggested transportation and resupply options. i don't mind resupplying more often if it measn carrying less food. i usually choose pretty calorie dense food or lightweight, "scrunchable" options. Since I've never used a bear cannister before, I'll have to get a similar sized container adn see how much I can cram in the different sizes before "choke" buying or renting one for the trip. I'm leaning towards the larger bearvault, but we'll see.

Again, mahalo for all your help!

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

I second the idea of stopping at Reds Meadow. It is practically right on the JMT. They will hold your mailed box, you can eat hot food, camp in their campground, and (something not yet mentioned) they have hot-spring-fed hot showers for free if you do stay in the campground!

The section immediately south of Reds Meadow (the dry section mentioned) is the most tedious part of the JMT. Hot, dry, dusty. If I were going again, after Reds I would rejoin the JMT by some much more scenic, alternative route. Someone mentioned going by way of Fish Creek (I have not been there). The other alternatives are (1) to take Roper's High Sierra Route from Reds to Duck Lake via Mammoth Pass; or to take the Reds shuttle into Mammoth and then either hike (2) from Lake Mary over Duck Pass or (3) from Lake George to Deer Lakes and then Duck Pass. But if it's your first time doing the JMT, ignore my advice here as it will just cause more planning overwhelm ;)

– Elizabeth

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Robert, I hope you see this, I didnt see your post. I literally just got an email from the NPS saying I got denied on my permit request. They show open spots, but apparantly not 3 (some friends decided to tag along) for leaving SOBO from Happy Isles on the July 25th so I am trying for the 24th, 23rd, and the 22nd. If that falls through I will try from TM for similar dates. I am trying for late July now due to scheduling issues with the other hikers. Hopefully the mosquitos dont carry me away.

It would be cool to see you out there! Thanks for all the info.

-Rob V.

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Since Im bumping this post again…
    I may as well ask another question.

If we were to drop off our packs at TM, where do you leave them? Just stash them trailside somewhere?

Also, would it be a good idea to carry a lightweight packable pack for carrying water/snacks during this slack pack day and the Whitney summit, or just carry everything by hand?

Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools