Topic

iPhone in the UK

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning iPhone in the UK

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Calling out for help from any BPL'ers in the UK…

My daughter will be spending the semester in London – Arriving on January 7th. She has an iPhone 4 (which requires the newer "micro-sim" card).

I think it makes the most sense for her to get a pre-paid SIM card with a local phone number and data plan, but I'm willing to consider almost anything that makes sense.

I know nothing about cellphone plans in the UK – any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    -Kevin

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

Perhaps look at the SIM only options available from Three (3), Vodafone, O2, Virgin, Orange in the UK. Check their websites.

And sites such as this:

http://www.simonlycontracts.co.uk/

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Our daughter did a semester abroad over the summer.

We added international service to her iPhone, but the iPhone was to be used only in an emergency (per minute cost was very high).

We used Skype on her laptop for normal communications, as the dorm she was staying in had wireless Internet service inlcuded in the cost…

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Ed – Thanks so much for the cellular companies and the link. I'll look into them before she goes.

John – I'm afraid my little Princess (she's my first of four girls) has become a bit dependent on her phone and is planning to travel around during and after her semester so I want her to have something that she can use both to look up museums while out walking as well to be able to call if she simply has a question that perhaps we can help her with. Most of her communication with us at home will be via Skype, but having a data plan makes the iPhone a truly useful tool while traveling.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools