Topic

Salomon Minim Ultimate Pullover

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Salomon Minim Ultimate Pullover

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I haven't read anything about this jacket anywhere on this site other than a post in Gear Deals forum by Tim Haynes a few weeks ago. I'm kind of surprised at the lack of mention about it.

Anyway, the jacket is listed at 5.3 oz. and is waterproof/breathable. I picked one up for around $60. I haven't been able to really test it yet, but I tried it on and inspected it when it arrived and I'm very impressed. It's a well constructed piece with a hood that I like. It fits slim and has good length torso coverage compared to other rain jackets (TNF, ID & Driducks) that I've used.

I do own an ID eVent jacket that is listed around 9 ounces, but I was looking for something a little more packable (smaller packed volume) that I can more easily fit into my running pack. This Salomon jacket does indeed pack up quite a bit smaller than the eVent jacket. As such it will definitely be packed more often for questionable weather days. For rainy days the eVent jacket might be my pick if the breathability of the Salomon doesn't stack up well, but that remains to be seen.

Would love to know if anyone else is using this jacket or others thoughts about it.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

and im a little Pissed. It's over spec. My size small weighs 6.1 oz. My Marmot Essence, which has more features and is full zip weighs 6.3 oz

I was hoping this was lighter than the TNF Triumph, making it the lightest jacket on the market, but I was mislead. Not sure what im going to do with it now. There is a lot of junk that can be removed or replaced off of it, so hopefully I can bring it down to it's advertised specs.

The Hood is awesome on this jacket though. There's no adjustability, but they've used a lot of elastic on parts of the hood. The result is a very snug hood that moves with your head. Good stuff.

Edit* We'll after trimming off all the labels, removing the waist cord, and replacing the zipper pulls, I've brought it down to 5.7oz. Still over spec, but now somewhat comparable to the TNF triumph (which is still lighter in a size small). Not really a bad deal at it's current price.

Jason Hortin
    BPL Member

@jhortin

Locale: Chicago

I think it's a brilliant, fairly inexpensive clothing item! I'm quite happy with mine. 6.75oz is still a lot lighter than my old REI rain jacket that got 'demoted' to city wear ;-). I really like the material and fit of the minim. The hood is really great as well.

I'm wondering why one would need a 'wind shirt' when this does the same things plus keeps out rain…

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Hey konrad,

if you decide you want to find a new home for one of your jackets I'd be happy give it a loving, caring home! ;)

if you're interested, shoot me a PM

Edward Barton

@edwardalbarton

Hey Nathan, Have you had a chance to test the breathability of the Minim yet?

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

Haven't had a chance yet. probably won't till spring. Mostly been in softshells lately in the colder weather. Not much for precipitation up here this year either. Maybe I'll take it out on a run and report back on breathability for the benefit of the board.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools