Topic

Grand Canyon, can go anywhere for 2 nights, what would you do?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Grand Canyon, can go anywhere for 2 nights, what would you do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Locale: Arizona and British Columbia

Going to grand Canyon for 2 nights in the next week. I have a shuttle.

What trailheads and route do you recommend? I've done Tanner before.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Down New Hance, across the Tonto, out South Kaibab.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

Gotta admit, I'd never want to do New Hance to South Kaibab with 2 nights; that's a 5-nighter in my book. New Hance to Grandview is doable; camp at Hance rapids and Hance Creek.

You could circumvent Horseshoe Mesa. At large camping at Cottonwood Creek and second night on the Mesa or Hance Creek. You'd probably have the place to yourself. Trailhead would be Grandview.

Or down South Kaibab and then explore Phantom Creek via Utah Flats route. Second night at Bright Angel campground. I hear Phantom Ranch is a fun place to be this week.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

1st night > Kaibab Trail down to Phantom Ranch (start early)

2nd night > Bright Angel Trail up to Indian Gardens

3rd day > Indian Gardens back up to parking lot.

Charles Henry

@chuckie_cheese

Locale: Arizona and British Columbia

What about the mule dung on the bright angel trail? Is it a significant turn off for a backpacking experience?

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

On the BA Trail you will have lots of mule p**p & pee. I've only done it in the spring and early summer and in some areas it was heavy and kinda gross and the flies were terrible. Flies probably won't be a problem now and the dung is probably less as I doubt they are running as many mules in the winter. You might need some crampons, but you rent those there at the BA lodge.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

1. Least rugged, most well-worn: South Kaibab/Bright Angel loop (see post on mule p**p).

2. Medium-rugged: Boucher-Hermit loop (first night at Boucher Rapids; second day, hike the Tonto Trail to Hermit and camp there)

3. Most-rugged/most solitude: New Hance-Grandview. Note New Hance Trail is not maintained; you must be comfortable with occasionally having to look for cairns marking the route, or scooting down a couple of boulders on your butt. It's still Class 1/a little Class 2 and no exposure. But I would not take a newbie down it.

#2 and #3 are equally gorgeous. I'd choose #3 if I want solitude, but if it's beyond the abilities of anyone in the group I'd choose #2. If you have any true newbies, they will feel a lot more comfortable with #1.

– Elizabeth

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

>> What about the mule dung on the bright angel trail? Is it a significant turn off for a backpacking experience?

The mule trains now go down BA trail and come up South Kaibab, so it's impossible to avoid on the South Rim corridor trails. But the trains are half the size as they used to be and it's only in one direction on each trail. It's the smell that bothers me but it doesn't seem to bother everyone.

Boucher has some stretches of significant exposure (before Yuma Point) that I would be wary of if there is snow or ice.

C Nugget
    Spectator

@nuggetwn

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Bright Angel Trail – Tonto – Horn Creek – Salt Creek Camp
    Salt Creek – Monument Creek – Hermit Creek Camp (or Hermit Rapid)
    Hermit Creek Camp – out Hermit or vica versa

-christy

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

New Hance and out Grandview is a dayhike.

;)

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

The Boucher/Hermit Creek Loop is nice. Boucher is pretty steep, tho. You will have aircraft flying overhead (unlike the no-fly zone over corridor trails).

Another possibility is Hermit Rest to Bright Angel TH. 1st night @ Monument Creek. 2nd night @ Indian Gardens. 3 day, hike out.

I've hiked down Hermit Trail in early March. Not much snow & no ice when I did it. That trail gets a lot of sun, unlike the top of Bright Angel or S. Kaibab.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

>> New Hance and out Grandview is a dayhike. ;)

Ah but then you'd never know if you can hike Hance Creek to the river… or Cottonwood Creek. Missing out on the best stuff! :)

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

What about the mule dung on the bright angel trail? Is it a significant turn off for a backpacking experience?

Going up you really don't notice, it's more about keeping your pace. Going down could be a problem if you don't watch your step. Not a good place to do a face plant.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Probably an early day down to Horseshoe Mesa to explore. Your last day will be mostly vertical …..up

Assuming you can get permits of course.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools