Dec 28, 2011 at 1:06 pm #1283443
Tad EnglundBPL Member
@bestbuilderLocale: Pacific Northwest
This came across my desk today- I have no affiliation with OR
Outdoor Research, Inc.
Location: Seattle, WASHINGTON
Experience: 5 years
Rate: N/A (Full-Time)
As a key team member of the Product Development group, the Materials Manager will manage the technical and design direction of Outdoor Research material selection and commercialization. The Materials Manager brings a track record in managing a broad range of raw materials across multiple product types and manufacturers. The Materials Manager will be responsible for researching, sourcing, developing and managing raw materials across all of Outdoor Research's six diverse product categories. Responsibilities will also include management of all lab testing and field testing.
The Materials Manager will be responsible for:
* Lead all raw materials design, development, management and sourcing.
* Ongoing research of material technology and trending.
* Create and present seasonally and technically relevant fabric assortment to designers and product managers each season.
* Partner with product managers, designers and raw material vendors to develop and manage technically advanced and innovative materials.
* Evaluate emerging material technology across multiple industries.
* Possess and maintain state-of-the art knowledge of outdoor textile and trim industry trends.
* Develop and manage strategic partnerships with leaders across the raw materials industry.
* Establish routine supplier meetings for material development, line review and industry trends.
* Develop product end-use expertise and develop internal partnerships with designers and product managers to recommend best material options for specific end uses.
* Develop and maintain performance standards for all materials.
* Establish testing protocol for all textiles and coordinate testing of all materials. Ensure that all materials are tested to required protocols.
* Facilitate necessary athlete validation and wear testing for all potential new materials.
* Establish and maintain specification database for all materials.
* Maintain internal fabric library.
* Ensure that all materials development meets or exceeds all corporate calendar deadlines.
* Negotiate costing, lead times and MOQ with all material suppliers.
* Coordinate material ordering for prototyping and sales sample purposes.
* Track on-hand raw material availability.
* Travel domestically and internationally to meet with mills and other raw material vendors.
* 8+ years of knit and woven outdoor material development and management, or 5+ years experience and a Bachelor's degree in Textile Design or a related field.
* Superior textile apparel materials experience with detailed understanding of all phases of product design and development including textile lab work
* Excellent understanding of outdoor apparel, accessories and equipment design and development process from initial vision through to final execution
*Comprehensive knowledge of technical materials including fibers, yarns, knit and woven textile constructions
*Advanced understanding of textile manufacturing and finishing, including dying, coating, lamination and finishing
*Extensive understanding of technical outdoor equipment featuring and user requirements.
* Demonstrated project management skills
*Experience working cross-functionally across multiple teams and independently
*Proactive approach to development and execution of core responsibilities
*Public speaking and presentation skills.
*Ability to understand and interpret a financial statement, and the key performance indicators (KPI's) that drive business growth and profitability.
*Detailed knowledge of North American, Asian, and European suppliers for technical fabrications.
*Thorough knowledge of North American, European, and Asian technical outdoor equipment markets.
*Strong verbal and written communication skills.
*Strong interpersonal skills.
*Fluent in English.
*Organized, good head for numbers.
*Energetic and enthusiastic.
*Pragmatic, tenacious, with attention to detail.
*Self-starter that's comfortable with ambiguity.
*Dedicated to getting the job done, but interested in having fun as well.
* Able to work and communicate in a culturally diverse environment.
*Ability to adhere to deadlines.
*Available for 10-20% travel within the US and Asia.
To apply, please click on the "Apply Now" link below, and be sure to let us know you found this job on Malakye!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.