Topic

Orca NZ Merino clothing – 80% off, free shipping on any size order

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Orca NZ Merino clothing – 80% off, free shipping on any size order

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Has anyone here ever heard of or tried Orca clothing? They've got a lot of New Zealand merino wool clothing, and some crazy-sounding 50/50 merino/seaweed blends, most of which is on sale at 80% off at 6pm.com.

6pm is also offering free shipping right now on ANY size order, so I bit and grabbed a couple of shirts for my wife and I to try. I'll post up here when it arrives and I can give an actual review, but since I have no idea how long this pricing will be available, I wanted to go ahead and post up. If it's any good, it will be the steal of the year for merino-clothing.

Ben F

@tekhna

And it's quite good, but also very different. No clue about their Merino stuff, which appears to be a totally different line of clothes. FWIW, a lot of the stuff appears to be only XL/2XL.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

had to try a shirt for 16.99. thanks for passing along what looks to be a sick deal.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

i normally wear a Large but will be trying this out in XL at that price. thanks!

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

Just saved $160.00 on three items.

Save an additional 10% with this code today only!

6PMRMN122811SAM

Thanks for the heads up!

Todd Dea

@busguy

Locale: Coast Mountains

Saved $276 on 5 items.

Went through mrrebates for 5% cash back and you can still use the 10% off code that Craig posted just above.

Nice find OP ! Much appreciated !

Tim Haynes

@timalan

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I wanted to follow up now that my wife and I have had our Orca stuff for a couple of weeks and have had a chance to use it.

Pros:
    * Quality is excellent, appears to be the equal of Icebreaker or Ibex.
    * The SeaMerino (seaweed/merino blend) feels better than almost any other fabric I can think of — smooth, no itch, a little bit "elastic," and just makes you happy to have it next to your skin
    * Fit on the half-zips we ordered is fantastic — long arms, and cut a little longer in the back than the front make them idea for casual wear, providing a little extra warmth — these have become my favorite casual wear shirts, beating out Icebreaker/Ibex for fit and comfort
    * Price — for the money, at 70-80% off, this is easily the best deal I've ever seen on merino

Cons:
    * I tried three different non-zip shirts — a SeaMerino L/S, a SeaMerino V-neck S/S, and a 100% merino S/S, and I returned all three. They were well made, fabric was great, but they were cut a little odd. The arms/armpits were made in such a way that they didn't articulate — every time I would lift an arm, the shirt would ride up with it. The sizing seemed fine (I'm a Medium), but the cut was just wrong. I really, really wanted to like these, but just knew they would annoy me every time I wore them.

Other:
    On the flipside, my wife got several of the same non-zip shirts that I tried, and she had no problems with the shirts riding up when she moved her arms. Maybe the women's versions are cut a little differently and the arms better articulated? I can't be sure.

I seriously considered just ordering some of the SeaMerino in an ultra-loose XL or something just to wear around as a sleep shirt, because the fabric is THAT comfortable. Would be ideal oversized for hiking, but not a good fit for fashion.

The half-zip shirts, which I love dearly, are all sold out, but if you ever see them, snatch them up. I'd say they'd almost be worth full price, and I don't say that about much of anything.

Any other thoughts/experiences?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools