Topic

Breakfast quinoa

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Breakfast quinoa

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

If this has been done already – my apologies.

Quinoa is one of my favourite grains, for both nutritional qualities and taste, and texture. My usual technique is to cook the grains in beef or chicken stock, using a considerable variety of savoury seasonings. The cooked quinoa dehydrates quickly, and most importantly, comes back to life in the field in next to no time.

Recently I had the notion of cooking quinoa in fruit juice, to get a sweeter, more breakfasty sort of meal, and I have to say, it worked like a charm. The reconstituted quinoa is completely infused with the fruit juice flavour, and it makes a really nice, easy to prepare hot meal in the morning.

Adam Wallace

@a-wallace

Locale: somewhere

That sounds like a nice option, I must try it. I have a friend that does the same thing with couscous, she uses True Lemon for flavoring and it's a wonderful zingy flavor in the morning, she also adds walnuts and craisins.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Pretty much any breakfast rice or couscous dish can be made with quinoa! So you do have lots of options……

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Strange. I was just having a dream about this last night. I can always tell when I need to end my winter hibernation season… when I start dreaming about backpacking food.

I cook the quinoa, then dehydrate it. That gives me a bagful of little brown nuggets that are simple to rehydrate (hot or cold). Sometimes I eat them straight.

The fruit-flavored quinoa works good, even for throwing into a regular hot stew with vegetables.

–B.G.–

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

Now this sounds delightfully wonderful. I cook most of my own food then dehydrate. I must try this!

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Mmmmm, my yoga friend served this to me the other day with cashews, golden raisins and a touch of soy milk. It was mind altering!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

I too, like to cook and dehydrate the quinoa. I also like to use quinoa flakes which are practically instant. You can also dehydrate it after cooking in almond milk and that is a wonderful way to have it. I love mine with blueberries and hazelnuts.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools