Topic

Goretex Socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Goretex Socks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I am wanting to get some goretex socks. What would you guys recommend? Are there any to avoid? I want something that works. I need them for walking around in cold rain and I also want some for winter snow(with a vapor barrier). Is it possible to get two different socks with different breathability for both situations?
    And the big question is, how well do goretex socks work in the first place? Normally I just deal with wet feet in the rain, but if it gets near freezing, it's just too cold.
    Also, something more budget priced would be nice. Under $40 would be good, but willing to spend more if that's the only way to get a decent pair.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have a pair of the Rocky brand GoreTex socks. I wear a size 10-10.5, and a size 12 in these socks seems just about right with a medium to thick wool sock, such as the Wigwam Merino Hiker and some thicker socks. I can wear a Wigwam Ice Sock with some noticeable by tolerable tightness.

They're waterproof with taped seams. Breathability is what you'd expect from GoreTex, not much. I have sweaty feet, but I get acceptable performance from the Rocky socks if I coat my feet with Certain Dri antiperspirant for 5 days before a trip (the effect builds up).

I plan to try them with vapor barriers this winter, but at around 10-15F, I'll switch to a mukluk-like rubber boot with wool felt liners.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

There's very little in the way of options with Goretex socks, do a quick Google search and you'll discover just how little.

I have a pair of Rocky Goretex socks that are good, they do what they're supposed to do, which is keep moisture out. They also, like most Goretex articles, do an excellent job of keeping moisture locked inside next to your skin after a while, so in the end, damp feet is unavoidable.

Here's a short BPL article from some time ago on the only pair of Goretex socks you're likely going to find:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/rocky_gore-tex_sock_spotlite_review.html

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I don't see much of a point in using goretex socks in you're already using a vapor barrier. I suppose it might do some good if you were trying to dry out socks, but that means you still managed to get your socks wet somehow.

I haven't see many other sock options either. It's pretty much the Rocky goretex socks or nothing.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Vapor barrier next to the skin, wool socks on top, and then goretex socks over all of that.
    If my socks get wet or frozen it will kill the insulation value.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Goretex is used to vent moisture from perspiration. Since that's not a factor when you're using a vapor barrier, I don't see the point of goretex socks. Just use another vapor barrier.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Why didn't I think of that before? I feel stupid now. Thanks eugene.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

Not sure if they sell in the US…but I got a pair a while ago in the UK at some discount…
    havent used them yet so nothing intelligent to say.

the membrane isnt outside so i guess in very low temps they could freeze?

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

One place where protective socks do maybe seem to exist is cycle shops. Not gore, and dunno how breathable etc, but maybe options.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Will Webster

@willweb

I had a pair of sealskinz about 10 years ago; didn't care for them. Santa left me a pair of Rocky goretex socks the other day and after a dry dayhike at 40F I think I like them; they were comfortable and warm anyway. The test will come when this warm weather ends and we get some slushy snow to walk in; maybe this weekend in Shenandoah. With one or two superthin synthetic liners the Rockys fit comfortably in my Inov-8 315s, but I'll need to size up to wear them with my normal winter socks.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I agree I like my Rocky Mt. goretex socks much better than my sealskinz when it comes to keeping dry.You will notice in BPL's review of each the Rocky Mt gets a highly recommended
    and the sealskinz only average.Sealskinz or neoprene socks do have their place though

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=37723

Emma White

@whiteev

For curiosity, what footwear are you wearing? Lightweight trail shoes? Will you be wearing the waterproof socks to keep your feet dry in a downpour? Why not just try to waterproof your footwear more?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Dan Johnson

@seattle

Locale: PNW

About 5 years ago I tried using kayaking booty's made from neoprene and I haven't used anything since. They are a little thick but they allow a little water to come through and act like a wet suit. Yes my feet get damp but the cushion they provide and ability to get stand in streams is worth it. I'm not sure if they come in different thicknesses but it would be worth looking into. I paid $8 at a diving shop for them and they're bombproof.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Why not just use another vapor barrier? Because I haven't found one that doesn't rip. I haven't had any luck with plastic bags, turkey roasting bags, et al. So, for me, the Rocky Goretex socks are my second vapor barrier, in a way (yes, I realize they're not a true vapor barrier). I use RBH VBL insulated socks next to my feet, then keep that insulation dry with the Rocky's. Works quite well for me.

As far as goretex socks, Gore actually makes some – you can find them in cycling shops. They've gotten bad reviews though, so I'm not sure how good they are. I bought a pair to try – they look well made – haven't had a chance to use them yet.

The Sealskinz socks from overseas (not the one's you buy here) also got lots of bad reviews, but I haven't used them. I figure it's quite possible that some folks, ignorant as to what they do, give a bad review because they get wet feet unaware that the wetness may simply be their own perspiration, so I take such reviews with a grain of salt (like the Gore-Tex cycling socks.)

All FWIW.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Neoprene booties/socks do come in different thicknesses. Dave Chenault talks about them a bit in a recent blog post – a very good post on winter sock wear. I'm thinking of picking up a pair of them based on his post. And no I don't have a link, but I'll bet Anna will come up with one if she's so inclined, she's the queen of links! ;-)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Emma, I am going to get some vivobarefoot trails or aquas soon. Right now I am just hiking around in some old, cheap vans shoes. I want my footwear to have maximum breathability when I want it to, and just slap on some goretex socks when I need waterproofness. In the high mountains in can be kinda hot and then have cold rain all in the same day.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Douglas you say various thickness… will the thickness of neoprene keep me warm by itself?

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

I've had good luck with Seirus Hyperlite Storm Socks.

According to the packaging material they are made from "Weather Shield, breathable, Tri-Laminate fabric" that "'blocks the wind and water and seals in heat–and are fleece lined."

Regardless of what the packaging says, I can tell you from experience that they are not seam-sealed, and they are definitely not waterproof. I spent a lot of time wearing a couple of pairs of these socks last winter (walking through lots of icy water puddles), and again last summer, (walking through lots of mud puddles on the West Coast Trail).

I found them to be very light-weight and comfortable. I tried them three different ways: with a sock liner under them, with a SmartWool hiking sock under them, and on my bare foot (the package indicates they can be worn as a sock next to the skin). They kept my feet warm even when they were not dry. My preference (comfort wise) was to wear them with a very light sock liner.

I also really like my Rocky GoreTex socks because I really prefer to keep my feet dry–especially in the winter. But sometimes the conditions make them less advantageous (when you plan to have your feet submerged deeper than the top of the socks, they become filled with water).

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I got some sealskins today, specifically because they were at REI and I can return them if they suck.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've heard quite a few bad reports about sealskins. I used to own a pair of Rocky Gore-Tex socks and I was impressed with them during the infrequent times I used them. The breathability is what it is, but at least the Rocky ones stay waterproof.

If you're going to buy Rocky socks, try them on first. The sizing is a bit strange and they are really hard to get on because of the minimal stretch, so you often need to go up a size or two to get them on. Once you have them on, they'll be a little big so you have to go with the size that is a bit of a pain to get on, and only a bit too big once they are on.

Ayumi Obinata

@plassy

I use Rocky GoreTex socks with mesh trail runners, only when I don't really want to wet my feet. They work as they should be. They are not very comfy, but are much better than heavy mid cut waterproof shoes that I used to wear. They are warm enough around freeze with mid weight socks. I think Rocky GoreTex socks is one underrated product, it should have been more popular.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools