Topic

Springer Mountain, GA to Hiawassee AT list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Springer Mountain, GA to Hiawassee AT list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Some critique or input on my list would be appreciated.

http://outonthetrail.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/5/

Trip is planned for April, or early May depending on family stuff. I plan to carry just enough food to make it the 30 or so miles to Neels Gap where I will resupply on food.

Some of my items are as light as I can reasonably get right now, other than ditching the air mat for a more bulky CCF pad or fashioning some UL outer garmets to replace my rain jacket and fleece that suddenly seem heavy to be carried and not worn in comparison.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Having grown up in SC, and now being transplanted and spoiled in the mild climate of CO, thinking of April and May in GA I envision warm weather. With that in mind, the first thing I would do is get a lighter sleeping bag–20 degrees is going to be serious over kill. I'd also leave the rain jacket and fleece at home. I prefer an umbrella for rain protection, you may like a poncho. Either way you'll save some serious weight trimming down (or out in the jacket's cases) your insulation. And you already mentioned the air mat, I assume that this is your luxury item but if your willing to try lighter options a GG Nightlight torso weighs ~2.5 oz and a trimmed down Z-rest weighs ~4-7.5 oz depending on how many panels and inches off the sides you trim.

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

– I do agreee the 20 degree bag might be more than necessary, but 40 degree lows are common in that area in April and at 40 degrees it is comfortable without being completely mummified in it. The bag is also just as light as the other sleeping bags I own and compacts MUCH smaller. Until I make a MYOG quilt in the 16-24 oz. range it's my go to.

– Yes, the air mat is my luxury item, partially for comfort but also due to it fitting in a stuff sack less than 4" x 7". I have used a CCF pad that I cut up and taped to fold accordian style but really disliked it being so bulky and sticking off my pack. It also kept me from using a pack cover in the rain. I might consider changing to a 48" torso pad, and if cut and taped in four 12" sections it might fit inside my pack as the frame.

– I might consider a cheap poncho (which I have laying around) in place of my rain jacket. I was really surprised when the rain coat weighed in at 9 oz since it stuffs down so small and I thought it was pretty UL.

Thanks for taking a look!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I will say that normally a 20* bag is overkill, but two years ago I was just north of there on the AT and it was 18* and we had 10" of snow overnight. This was in early April, and the two days on the trail before had highs in the 70's. You never know what it is going to do in the mountains. I have had snow and temps around freezing in June before as well around 6000ft in the Smokies.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

Anthony, I understand having to use the bag you already have, my go-to suggestion is to try and find a 40% off coupon from GoLite and try out one of their quilts. They come in 20* and 40* and if you got the 40* I'd probably put the fleece or rain jacket back on the list. Just noticed the 'piedmont' on your local–familiar area, I grew up in Columbia.

Brad, I too have seen the smokies go from 70's to dustings of snow but if my memory serves me the 80 or so miles he's planning on doing are at a significantly lower elevation. His high point is Blood Mt which he'll go over the first day or two at a whopping height of 3500 ft. Temps should be predictable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools