Topic

Skier saved from cliff is grateful to rescuers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Skier saved from cliff is grateful to rescuers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

reminder to make sure you can go back up anything you go down … and vice versa …

An avid back-country snowboarder, Lawrence Floucault left Mount Washington at 9 a.m. Friday, camped out overnight at McKenzie Lake and planned to finish his trek through Forbidden Plateau by Saturday afternoon.

Floucault said he's familiar with Mount Becher but he went too far in the wrong direction and couldn't find the trail he's used to.

He then found himself trapped on a cliff, unable to make it back up to the path.

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Skier+saved+from+cliff+grateful+rescuers/5912867/story.html

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Not being able to make it back up a path you've decended is a common but little discussed mistake. I read the book 'Death in Yosemite' which details the ~900 deaths in the park, and quite a few of them were because someone slid/down climbed/fell into an area that they couldn't climb back up or down from. I try to be aware of this when I hike off-trail so I don't wind up trapped.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools