Topic

Synthetic Quilt recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Synthetic Quilt recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Aloha All,

I'm interested in finding an affordable synthetic quilt, about 45 degrees. I'm 5'-2", so I need a short quilt.

I love my katabatic down quilt, but I need something for wet weather, and lighter weight.

Any recommendations.
    thanks

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

make sure you add 10F for most quilts i suspect are "rated" for men and women generally sleep colder …

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

+1 for MLD's spirit quilt. Awesome stuff! My favorite quilt.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

MLD Spirit Quilt, apart from the warmth, the sizing, the design of the foot section and the quality of construction make this a standout quilt in my view.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

Thos MLD Quilts do look very good.
    I might get one to pair up with my WM Ultralite.

Cheers,

Stephen

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

There really aren't any commercial options out there except MLD and Enlightened Equipment that I am aware of.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm

He's got the Owyhee at 30 degrees and 1 lb 11 oz (using climashield) and at the very bottom he lists "custom options available". Paul (owner) has a very, very good reputation at hammock forums. just another option…

clay stewart

@reluctantwaterhauler

It's too bad that Jacksrbetter doesn't make a synthetic quilt. I would love to have a Stealth one with the hole for "poncho mode."

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I use an MLD Spirit quilt outside of winter camping also. I might some day get another that's cut a bit wider, but that's about the only thing I'd change, and even that hasn't been much of an issue when I use a shelter. :)

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The MLD quilts use Climashield which the US military likes due to its ability to retain loft after repeated stuff sac use. This is good news as loss of loft is synthetic insulation’s biggest problem. I now own a usless Primaloft summer sleeping bag after only 2 season’s use and proper storage. GAK!

I am thinking of getting the lightest quilt for over my Western Mountaineering down bag for late fall high altitude use. It will attract the moisture from my body where it will condense, keeping my down bag much drier. Plus it will offer about another 15 F. of warmth to a 20 F. overstuffed Megalite. This is a proven layering technique.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Eric- nice blast from the past! :)

funny though, almost six years later, the MLD Spirit quilt is still the go to synthetic quilt- Ron hit a home run with this quilt no doubt about it

Owen M
    BPL Member

@harryhood04

Anyone have any experience with Nunatak’s new Apex quilt?  I’m in the market for a synthetic quilt and was leaning towards MLD, but I really like the idea of refilling the APEX after a few years and saving the shell.  Has anyone done this with other synthetic quilts?  I am very attracted to synthetic for wet environments and for use as an overquilt, but it’s hard for me to invest in something that won’t last nearly as long as down.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

no experience with their Apex quilts, but obviously a very respected name in down quilts- their fit/finish on products are top notch!

I peeked at their Apex quilt- I do like the very customizable menu, you should be able to build the perfect quilt.  I also like the idea of replacing the insulation, not sure if that is something MLD would do or not?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools