Topic

Wind River Range – July 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Wind River Range – July 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jake werner

@skansasc

For my first post, i thought I would do a trip report over my first trip to the Winds.
    My friend and I made this trip in late July of this previous summer, and it was a blast, with perfect weather.

On our way from Kansas to Wyoming, we spent the first night along Highway 14, west of Fort Collins, near Joe Wright Reservoir, as a halfway point, and for us flatlanders to get acclimatized. We had also seen that you could catch Greyling at the Reservoir, so we thought we would give it a shot. We ended up each catching several.

Joe Wright

The next morning we made our way to Wyoming and eventually to Moccasin Lake, on the Indian Reservation, where the trailhead started. We camped for a night there, and got a fresh start the next morning.

Mocassin Lake

On our way out of the lake the next morning, we found fresh bear tracks from the night before.

After hiking a few hours, we decided to stop at Gaylord Lake and try some fishing, but we didnt see any sign of fish, so we just took the evening to rest. It sprinkled on us for about 10 minutes at aroung 5 PM, and that was all the rain we had for the whole trip.

Gaylord Lake

Leaving Gaylord Lake the next morning, we reached Vernal Lake in a couple hours. We had heard this lake had good fishing, and while the fish lacked size and heft, there were plenty. We spent the whole afternoon exploring this area.

Vernal Lake

From the outlet of Vernal.

The next morning, we fished Vernal for an hour or so, and then headed out for Grave Lake. We first made a fairly tough crossing at the Popo Agie River I believe, and then made it to Onion Meadows, where we stopped for a little while to dry off and fish. We eventually made it to Grave Lake, set up camp, and went to explore and fish the lake, which was by far the biggest lake we would hit.

Grave Lake

We spent the whole afternoon and next morining fishing Grave Lake, and caught some very nice fish including a few Lakers. When we decided to leave Grave, we made the same trek back, stopped at Vernal Lake for another hour of fishing, and decided to go off trail to camp at Lost Lake for our last night. I didnt take us long to find Lost Lake from Vernal, and we were glad we decided to hit Lost because it wound up being the best fishing lake we went to. We also hit a small Brook trout pond along the way.

Lost Lake

The next morning we fished Lost Lake for a couple hours, and eventually started the the last 5 miles to get back to the truck. The hike out was pretty uneventful, and while we were happy to be back at the truck, we were dissapointed that we had to leave. We are already planning a more adventurous return trip for next year.

Some random pictures.

jake werner

@skansasc

I guess i dont know how to post pictures on this site. If you want to view them, you can copy and paste the links.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

You can either click the "Insert Image at Cursor" button that is just above the area you type in and over to the right;

or else the html code is: [img src="insert link to your picture here" /]but change the [ to <
    and change the ] to >

maybe there are other better ways, but those are the ways i know of.

And I'm definitely interested in seeing these pics as I'm planning a trip out there next summer.

jake werner

@skansasc

I think I got the image code figured out.
    Thanks for the help.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Nice pictures. I am trying to find a way back to the winds in the next few years. It is always great to see pictures from different areas of the winds to get some ideas for a return trip. They don't ever disapoint.

Ben

Mark Mendell
    BPL Member

@mmendell

Locale: Midwest

Nice pics. I love the Winds, and try to get there every summer. The hike up Baptiste from the inlet end of Grave lake is well worth it. The creek has great fishing, and is a beautiful hike up past Mt. Hooker and ends at Baptiste Lake, which lies mostly in the reservation. The southern tip is accessible though, and has big fish.

Nice to see posts from Kansas and Nebraska! Grew up in Kansas, live near Omaha.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Great report! I had a great talk with a local guide about that area, and would love to share and compare some of the info. If you get a chance, drop me a PM and we can exchange some of the details! Thanks!

jake werner

@skansasc

Pm sent

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools