Topic

Low End Comfort Level for Insulated Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Low End Comfort Level for Insulated Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Webster Jorgensen
    Spectator

@websterj

Locale: Kansas City

I have a trip coming up in January and temps could get down in the single digits or low teens in the evening.

I have a pair of Montbell Thermawrap pants and wonder how well these will work. I'd be wearing them with a poly baselayer, NF convertible hiking pants, and my shell pants if needed.

I'm interested in hearing your experience with using MB Thermawrap and other popular (Down Inner, Patagonia etc.) insulated pants. How low (tempurature) can you take them?

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

My last to outings have seen the low teens, I did bring insulated pants, but did not use them. Mid weight base layer, light soft shell pants, and rain pants were enough in the morning while breaking camp. In the evening moving around I was plenty warm, laying down to read got cold, but just got into sleeping bag. I'd take them, but you probably will not need them.

Have fun, winter camping is great.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Actually, I did some patio testing of some insulated layers just last week. We had a cold snap and the temps dove to around 5-7*F after dark (no wind at all). I wore my Thermawrap pants (with Cap 3 leggings), insulated boots, and I rotated through several down coats, gloves, and hats/balaclavas. My legs never once were cold, except sometimes the ankles between the pants and the boot tops, when I crossed my legs and the pant hiked up a little. I think your MB Thermawrap pants will work fine in single digit temperatures. Great insulated pants.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I use Montbell Down Inner pants down to single digits, but in conjunction with FF down booties, Icebreaker 260 baselayer, and REI Mistral pants. I tend to run cold and would consider a warmer insulated pant at some point. But it works for now!

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

I've worn a smartwood base / hiking pant / MH compressor in the low single digits with no problems. I think you should be fine. (had a wind layer and rain pants in reserve)

Dave

Webster Jorgensen
    Spectator

@websterj

Locale: Kansas City

Thanks for the responses. Since I've been hoping for a cold snap, we have of course had an unseasonably warm winter here so far.

Sounds like the worst case scenario for these pants in these temps is slight discomfort.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Wearing insulated clothing to extend a sleeping bag's range is a good idea because you also have the clothing to wear on frosty mornings around camp or if the temps drop unexpectedly during the day. "Dual purpose" is one of the keys to UL backpacking.

I used a jacket and pants "suit" of Thermolite Micro and medium weight poly long johns in my 30 F. WM Megalite down bag in 15 F. on a windy night in my breezy TT Moment and was just fine. This was at 11,00 ft. at Arapaho Pass in Colorado's Indian Peaks Range.

I think I could have gone down to 5 F. and still been comfortable if I would have had a warmer mattress. The key was the greater girth of the Megalite – hence the name. The girth allowed me enough room to wear the insulated clothes without compressing the down on top.

Now that I've recently had the Megalite overfilled by WM (and it's really lofty now) I think it has become a 20 F. bag so I could go even colder with the insulated clothes, probably to 0 F. max with the right mattress.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools