Topic

SEKI-One Week, 75 Miles Or so

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning SEKI-One Week, 75 Miles Or so

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Ken, I found Longley Pass on the map, but didn't find Sphinx Col. I can kind of calculate where it is at based on topography, but not sure."

It's the col above the uppermost tarn in the Sphinx Lakes Basin and pops you out above and North/East of Big Brewer lake.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

Thanks Tom, That is the area I was looking at. It looks appealing, but pretty rugged!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There is a good NPS map that shows the exact areas where bear canisters are required, versus where they are recommended. You might need to study that map if that is an issue.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"That is the area I was looking at. It looks appealing, but pretty rugged!"

The terrain going up to Sphinx Col from the north is pretty easy, as is the traverse above Big Brewer Lake. The broken up stuff is farther south in the vicinity of South Guard Lake/Mt Brewer. Longley Pass is easy, then it gets a bit rougher again until you cross one of the passes on the King Kern Divide. All in all, it's a pretty enjoyable route, with lots of beautiful scenery. It's a nice way to exit the Upper Kern Basin when your packs are lighter and you're thoroughly acclimatized.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

So what about starting at Roads End up to Lake Reflection over Harrison Pass to Lake South America over Forrester and back.

I want to open this up to 4-6 others. My route finding skills are sufficient for this trip. For what it's worth Lamarck was rather easy for me when I did that, skill wise and route finding. Harrison is quite steep on the north side with it being steep with a considerable scree slog for what it looks like 2000 feet.

Am I biting off more than I can chew or should I just go over Avalanche to Colby then over Forrester and back?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"So what about starting at Roads End up to Lake Reflection over Harrison Pass to Lake South America over Forrester and back."

That would work, Ken.

"Harrison is quite steep on the north side with it being steep with a considerable scree slog for what it looks like 2000 feet."

Harrison is mostly talus, with not a lot, if any, scree as I recall. It will be strenuous, especially at the top, but not exposed. It is class 2.

"Am I biting off more than I can chew or should I just go over Avalanche to Colby then over Forrester and back?"

If you were comfortable on Lamarck, you'll do fine on Harrison. I think the Avalanche/Colby route would be a lot of unnecessary extra trail miles, enough extra to ensure that you would be hiking all day, every day, for the entire 7 days. It would also drop you down into Kern Canyon, 8000' elevation at Junction Meadow, and then you would have to climb back out, a hot dusty hike in August. Also, when you're down in Kern Canyon, you are not going to see much of anything. If you go in over Harrison and follow the trail from Lake South America on down to the JMT connector trail just north of Milestone Basin. you'll be traversing some of the most awesome real estate in the entire Sierra, with spectacular views at every turn. It is enough shorter to allow for a day in Milestone Basin, which I would very highly recommend, for reasons I stated in an earlier post. From the Jmt connector trail, you could be over Forester Pass in one day and another day or so would have you back to Roads End. That would be a great loop for you.

Edited for content.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"Am I biting off more than I can chew or should I just go over Avalanche to Colby then over Forrester and back?"

I haven't done Harrison but it is well documented. You have some relatively easy miles in there at the begining and the whole way down from Forrester so if you take longer on some of the sections then you can make it up. I love that area!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Ken, I have a lot of interest in that hike and area…Do you have your roster filled up yet? I would love to talk about it with you at Henry Coe.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm also thinking about that sort of route for this summer. Harrison Pass, Forester Pass, then back via Rae Lakes.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

The trip is wide open!

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools