Topic

Protecting a Neoair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Protecting a Neoair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

Thinking about getting two of the Neoairs and am concerned about punctures. I've read the BPL reviews and know punctures aren't guaranteed, but my wife (especially my wife) and I are hard on gear and we have this new dog…The inside of our tent often has almost as much dirt as the outside. So I'm thinking of making Tyvek envelops to put over whatever pads we get and would appreciate feedback. Would Tyvek help protect a Neoair from punctures on our dirty tent floor and from our 70 pound puppy?

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I think it would help. I sometimes bring a 1/8" ccf pad to put under my synmat to prevent punctures. It's a little extra weight, but I can be clumsy and figure its worth it. I think tyvek could work too.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

A tyvek envelope would be a great idea anytime. I have always used a tyvek sheet beneath my Neoair… no punctures yet. I also roll the mat up inside the tyvek sheet and then drop them into the pack. No worries about punctures during the day either.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Keep ur dog out of the tent? get a small tarp to pitch for him, and make him carry it in his own pack… Either way, make the mutt carry the tyvek envelopes, no reason for him to add more weight to your gear.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

another issue with making it fully wrapped in tyvek is that it will be very slippery. chasing your pad around all night is never fun

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

My recollection is that there is now more than one type of neo-air, with the newer option being heavier but more durable. I'd be more inclined to go to something a little tougher rather than mess with sleeves.

I've repaired one of my neo-airs; the tiny hole was on the top of the pad and not the bottom FWIW. Another one has a very very slow leak (I only have to reinflate once or at most twice during the night) and for the life of me I can't find the leak point, despite repeatedly pushing bits of it underwater in the bathtub to look for air bubbles.

My sense is that these are quite tough and durable pads for folks that can take reasonable care of their gear. If you're hard on your gear — or as you say, have a sharp-nailed pet — I'd be inclined to go another route. Perhaps just not an inflatable at all, consider stacking ccf pads?? Depends on how really hard on gear you (and your pet) are.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

It might help enough to just not allow the dog to move around in the tent. When my dog comes into the tent it is time to sleep. I point to where she is to lay down tell her to lay down then stay and she stays put until morning when I let her out. Some mud may come in but she tramps on the pad very little if at all. It helps that we are both likely to be pretty tired.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My dog also goes in and lies down quietly. He considers my tent his crate! I pull pad and sleeping bag out of the way when we go in at night and before we go out in the morning.

It also helps a lot to keep the dog's claws clipped short. I try to clip my dog's claws twice a month. Frequent clipping makes the quick recede so that you can cut them a little shorter each time. I have always, since he was a pup, given him a dog biscuit to chew on while I'm doing the pedicure on each paw, so he's really good about this procedure.

I don't use the NeoAir; I have a KookaBay custom pad instead. Protection is needed, though, whatever air pad you use! Before pitching my tent, I check the site carefully to remove anything that might puncture either the floor or the pad. A piece of 1/8" Gossamer Gear Thinlite pad (cut to a little longer than torso length) under my air pad also helps–protects the air pad, cuts down on slipping, adds a little extra insulation for really cold nights.

Richard Brownkatz

@rbrownkatz

Locale: Southeast

Thanks everyone.

Erick Panger
    BPL Member

@eggs

Locale: Mid Life

Slime Skabs. Work great and stick to just about anything. Had to patch my Dad's Neoair on a trip this year along Lake Superior. Nice having a lake near by to use to find the leak

http://www.rei.com/product/742967/

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Maybe shoes for dogs might help. Those heavy fabric things to protect the pads on their feet.

Tyvek under the tent, but not around the pad. Slip sliding away…

Steve

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools