Topic

Solo Tent Feedback Request

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Solo Tent Feedback Request

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

In theory I would like to be able to go hiking with nothing but an 9×7 flat tarp. But, the reality is that mosquitoes make it nearly impossible to sleep with out protection. Plus the Lyme disease epidemic has me concerned.
    So I always need a bug net or bivy with the tarp. but, like many have said here the arrival of many double walled/hybrid double walled tents in the 1.5-2 lbs range has me rethinking the tarp thing.
    Tarps have a lot of advantages but I went to tarps in the beginning primarily because of price and weight more than anything else. It used to be the case that tarps/bivy were significantly lighter than solo double walled tents- thats not the case anymore.
    I tried a few different tents/shelters this summer and still haven't settled on one but I like my SMD Trekker and MLD Doumid.
    they have some nice improvements over my old tarp/bivy setup.
    First,I tend to like to stretch out a little and toss and turn at night. A larger bug free space is a lot more comfortable for me than a bivy.
    Second, These tents have a nice side entry that makes entry a lot easier.
    third, they can be pitched down so that I have 360 protection from wind and rain, but the doors can be opened up on nice days for views and breezes. I especially like the openness of the Trekker.
    So, for so little weight I feel I have A pretty versatile pretty comfortable shelter from bugs and bad weather. Enough at least for the great majority of my hiking.
    I will finish that cuban tarp someday because I know I will get the urge to go super simple every once in a while but it would be nice to learn to live with one of the perfectly usable nice shelters I have and stop searching for that perfect one.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I always look for weather protection first. Second is bug protection, if needed. It doesn't matter to me if that is with a tent or tarp, it's whatever the lightest option is that will do the job.
    I don't think you can generalise, as folk have different needs according to terrain and climate.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Dr. Jordan —

Appreciate the thread, and looking forward to your input and article.

Here's my contribution:

"So, is it really all about the bugs?"

Not always — only if there's likely to be bugs (and/or reptiles).

"Or is there something else? Is there some psychology that drives you? Is it a feeling of security?"

Depends — a "real" shelter is nice if there's likely to be howling winds, driving rain, and/or really cold temps.

"How do you feel about owning, carrying, and using a solo tent when you might know that *something else" might give you *something more* for less weight and cost?"

This might be a trick question, but obviously a clue.

Hopefully it's a tickler for a new stealth technology solo tent that's invisible to bears, scent-blocking, self-pitching, weighs two-tenths of a grams, and fits on the head of a pin.

"Or, perhaps, is it just that there are so many "neat" solo cottage tents available out there that are a lot lighter than all the "neat" mass-produced solo tents?"

Have to admit, neat is nice, but no big deal.

"Are manufacturers selling you something that isn't really there?"

That last question is tough, and it sounds like a reiteration of the "tickler clue" of an SST (stealth solo tent) — as in it's there, but it isn't.

In sum, I agree with Mike above — selection of a solo tent is probably a matter of suiting the shelter to the action.

And that might be why folks sometimes buy so (too) many, and why a Stealth Solo Tent would sure help solve both those problems.

Assuming different solo tents can meet every concern that might arise as you've identified them, the lightest one trumps — and determines my selection.

Thanks again.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

Ummm… What is your definition of "tent"?

Does a "tent" have to be freestanding? If so, would a TT Rainbow be considered a tent?
    Or does it just have to have rain and bug protection? In that case, wouldn't any tarp+innernet combo be considered a tent? Is a mid + inner considered a tent? Are tarptents considered tents?

Answering the above would help answer my next question. What do you mean "*something else* might give you *something more* for less weight and cost?"

What system offers "more"(i.e. bug/rain/snow protection) for less weight(this is where the 'tent' definition is needed. For instance, if a zpacks hexamid plus inner is considered a tent, what other system would be lighter AND offer equal or more bug and rain protection?)

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

@Nick: if a zpacks hexamid plus inner is considered a tent, what other system would be lighter AND offer equal or more bug and rain protection?

I am a huge fan of the ZPacks hexamid Solo setup (owned one myself) but it is not the lightest fully enclosed setup out there.

Granted the ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tarp + ZPacks Hexanet is a freakishly amazing 286 grams but my ZPacks Tarp + MLD Bug Bivy setup is 254 grams – about 1.1 ounces lighter.

I could switch to using the Gossamer Gear Bug Canopy – rather than the MLD one – which would put my setup at 246.36 grams [8.980 ounces] but I would not consider that to be a "fully enclosed" setup.

I get your point and agree with you, but that setup you mention is not the lightest thing out there. And there are guys out there with even lighter tarps than mine (which is 80.24 grams) such as the one that Steve Evans has that is 51 grams.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

Locale: Cen Cal

"Granted the ZPacks Hexamid Solo Tarp + ZPacks Hexanet is a freakishly amazing 286 grams"

You can say that again about freakishly amazing. I don't know how many hours I've spent looking for a lighter bug free shelter without resorting to a bivy and/or a tiny tarp.

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

"You don't really select a solo tent for severe weather protection".

Wrong.

This is the primary consideration.

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

@John: I wasn't implying that the Zpacks setup was the lightest thing out there. It's the lightest thing I've come across, but was genuinely curious what other options were out there that were lighter. That MLD bivy looks awesome. That's the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks! Even then. Would this be considered a tent? If so, my question remains… What is lighter or offers more? Where is the tent and tarp/bivy line drawn? What defines each?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

"and Herny's tent requires a more elaborate stake-out system. that loses points in my book."
    I think that this point from Peter Vacco well illustrate that how we perceive a product is as important as how the product actually is or performs.
    In this case I think Peter is comparing the Akto and the Scarp.
    Having set up the two, I personally don't think that the Scarp has a more elaborate set up, in fact to me it is easier and faster to get it taut than the Akto .
    Not that I am trying to convince Peter to switch (…) just making the point that some one's perception is not always somebody else reality.
    BTW, for most of the year the Scarp is too much for me, that is , I am very comfortable with something much lighter, however still more tent like than tarp like because I don't like bivvies and usually we have a lot of bugs about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWE0gx7rSXU&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw&index=36&feature=plcp
    Franco
    [email protected]

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

Ryan wrote "You don't really select a solo tent for severe weather protection, you don't really select a solo tent for weight savings, you don't really select a solo tent for interior living space, you don't really select a solo tent for privacy, and you don't really select a solo tent for views."

Wow, I don't know what kind of paradise you guys hike in, but those are all reasons that I DO select a solo tent.

* Severe weather protection – yes, my solo tent offers protection from srong wind and rain.
    * Weight saving – my solo tent is 1020g, tarp + poles + bug net/bivy + warmer sleeping bag = ???
    * Interior living space – yes, my solo tent has lots of interior space plus a bathtub groundsheet so little things do not get lost.
    * Privacy – yes, silnylon is opaque
    * Views – yes, if I tie the door open I get a good view.

Plus
    * Bug protection. Scottish midgies are vicious in summer.

The solo tent I use is a MYOG effort, but it is not too dissimilar to a TT Moment.

Edited to add poles for tarp

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

I think some of this could be a West vs East thing. In my experience in the Western US (not much) there are a lot less bugs, especially nasty creepy crawlies. In the Southeast especially there are huge palmetto bugs (roaches), centipedes, tons of spiders, small ants, big ants, fire ants, regular roaches, snakes (although not too worried about that), potential for mosquitos about 10 months a year, knats, and most importantly ticks. I think bug protection is more of a concern down here than out West, maybe that is just my perception.

I would love to use a tarp but I refuse to use a tiny bug bivy, I get claustrophobic when my movement is restricted. To me that is just a form fitting inner net tent and I'm not going to crawl into that tiny thing with netting a couple inches off my face and be comfortable. From my math when you add in a tarp and bivy (possibly a ground cloth and/or bug netting) you are not far off in weight or functionally the design of a lot of the lightweight full tent shelters. I mean what is a Contrail or a Moment? It's a shaped tarp, a bathtub ground cloth connected by some bug netting. The new TT designs (Notch and SS1 and SS2) are just a tarp with inner net tent.

Also with a tarp and bivy when you get in the tent arent I going to be bit on the hands, feet, face until you get into your bivy? So how am I going to read or relax before bed?

The other advantage is less fussing. I am worn out after hiking all day and the less fuss the better. I like to get camp setup as quickly, easily as possible and a tent has a pre-determined method of setup, minimal thought goes into you just find as flat a spot as you have and do it.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

At the moment, I do not own a floored shelter of any kind. Though using a tarp can occasionally be a pain, the experiential benefits have me bringing it over the mid almost all the time.

The only reason I'm looking into a freestanding solo tent is winter use. In mid-depth, super faceted snow (like we have right now) building a snow shelter or staking anything out can be a major exercise. A tent would be nice in those conditions. My wife has historically objected to the lack of floor on psychological grounds, but is changing her mind.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Stuart mentioned the Scottish midge. Unless you have experienced it, you can't imagine what they are like. They form huge clouds and are relentless in their pursuit of a blood meal. The bite isn't painful (though some folk suffer thousands of red blisters), but the combined nuisance can drive you insane. I've seem grown men reduced to tears. The thought of not sleeping in an enclosed shelter of some kind simply isn't worth thinking about. Wether that is a bug bivvy or full tent is down to personal tolerance level.
    BTW, i wouldn't class a tarp and bug bivvy as a fully enclosed shelter. What about the ends? Rain doesn't fall straight down, does it? ;)

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Bug protection and ease of set up for me. i went with TT contrail to combine that with light weight and the trekking pole set up. Goes along with the whole "don't bring something that can already be done. so having a tent with poles didn't make sense if i had trekking poles.

When you hike in the Northeast there will usually be bugs and the chance of rain so being able to throw up a shelter quick is big for me. I did not like the idea of futzing with multiple pieces with tarp, bivy, ground cloth, etc. seems that at that point unless you're using Cuben it is going to weigh as much with more hassle. not to mention the cost of each piece ends up being more than a tarp tent.

Chris Bowman

@jcbowman

Locale: ORF

I use a Lunar Duo as oppossed to other set ups for a few reasons.

1. I like a fully enclosed shelter for protection against bugs here in the Mid Atlantic. I think originally I also needed the "protection" a fully enclosed shelter offered (if you can't see it it isn't there), but as my experience has grown, I no longer need that comforting feeling.

2. I'm a big guy, 6'4" 250lbs. I like my space. I like having enough space to have everything inside with me.

3. Tent poles are very awkward to keep in a backpack. I like being able to use my trekking poles.

I think for the purpose your question maybe the tarptent styles should be isolated from more traditional 2 wall tents.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I think differences in region make quite the difference here. Having experienced the humidity and bugs of the American SE, I will never live there, nor be inclined to visit outside November thru February.

As is, I try quite hard to plan my trips such that I avoid camping in the mosquito zones during our spring and summer hatches. They can be as bad as anywhere, just for a short time only.

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

"* Weight saving – my solo tent is 1020g, tarp + bug net + bivy + warmer sleeping bag = ???"

You would have either a bug net/tent or bivy, not both. The setup I'm considering this season is a HMG Echo I or MLD Grace Solo in cuben, 7-8oz range including guylines. Adding a Serenity Shelter with sil/cuben doors for 6.2-8.5 oz, and you're at 16.5 oz max not including stakes. Essentially a double wall, with the option of leaving the bug tent at home. My Moment weighs 33.8 without stakes. Cost not added in as a factor though.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

I've noticed that a few of the tarp users are from California. Rain is banned from blasting horizontaly into the ends of tarps in California. :)

Christopher Yi
    Spectator

@traumahead

"Rain is banned from blasting horizontaly into the ends of tarps in California. :)"

LOL. Although I'm mainly a fair weather hiker, hoping to change that.

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

I use a solo tent for several reasons. I should also say that I don't walk, eat sleep. I might stop at 6 p.m. and lie around until 11 p.m. so I like several things.
    1.Bugs. I want to sit up for hours sometimes, so no bivy/tarp would be fun.
    2.Privacy. I also sleep until about 9 so I don't want to be a store window or that homeless guy on the corner for everyone to check out.
    3. Someone said earlier about getting all my gear packed in the morning. Never lost so much as a minibic this way.
    4. Not very much dirt and sand ends up in my sleeping bag.
    5. Easy to set up. I only go one way, so I like my tent that way too.
    6. I feel that my tent is much more maximized than a tarp. I don't understand why anyone wants a tarp that is 3 feet over at each end to prevent rain splash. Wasted space. Again, that's just me.
    7. Safety. No bear out there can penetrate my wall of noseeum netting. Withstands bullets, also. Since I started using a tent I have not been shot or attacked by an animal one single time. They know.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

The above post…wins.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yep, Chris said it best.

My solo tents over the past 15 years have been:
    1. REI Sololite (heavy double wall)
    2. TT Contrail (nice but could be better in wind)
    3. TT Moment (Great tent & fast to pitch)

Next solo tent? Maybe a SMD Skyscape X (Cuben)

Solo tents are the lightest option that will work in virtually ANY campsite… and give complete protection from the elements and critters. (NO BIVY NEEDED)

Out of fiscal necessity I "tarped" in my early days ('70s) of backpacking and I'm over it.

Brian Keith Gunter

@bkgunter

Locale: Midwest

BUGS!

I just ordered a ZPacks Hexamid Solo + with beak – with the net floor, it should be arriving soon. I also have a 5'X8' ID sil-tarp and MLD Bivy. All of these choices are to eliminate any chance of bugs,that begin with "M", from sucking me dry.

I was recently on a trip to the ERL Trail in Arkansas. In camp one night I looked out at the leafy ground cover with my headlamp. Behold, a million bright blue sparkles…that turned out to be spider eyes. Glad I don't just lay down and sleep in the dirt.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

Actually, most all of the above, though maybe it really is just a cool gadget…

I have a nice tarp, a great homemade bivy, one of the original Hennessy UL hammocks, and several tarptent style shelters. The shelter I grab first when heading solo for the trail is my Tarptent Moment. This is entirely due to the ease of use – I can be lying down inside in about two minutes. I have privacy, room to change, store my gear, eat, excellent weather protection, etc. Sure, I can get most of those things from the other shelters, but not in such a quick and easy package.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Ex-bivy user here who went back to solo single wall tents and tarptents. Sometimes I needed a tarp to protect the opening if I had to get into the bivy during a storm, and the combined weight approached a solo tent.

Above freezing, it's the bugs. Below freezing, in stormy weather, a tent a place to crawl into my sleeping bag, read in a storm, etc.. One experience stands out; a winter trip in Big Bend (Texas) I rode out a fierce storm in comfort, sitting cross-legged in my tent (an old MSR Zoid 1) while sand blasting wind peppered the fly. With cuben tarps getting better, I may revert back to a bivy + small tarp system under freezing temperatures but it's pretty hard to beat the sheltering aspect while waiting a storm out in relative comfort.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools