Topic

Cuben Fiber Material For Sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber Material For Sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I am selling some extra Cuben Fiber material I have instock. The material is a CT2K.08 .75oz in Yellow for $25.00 Lineal Yard. CT2K.08 is the most common cuben fiber material used for Tarps, Tents, Rain Gear, Pack Covers, Stuff Sacks, Etc… This material weighs .75oz per square yard and has a break strength of 105lbs/inch which is 2-3 Times as strong as a 30D Silicone Coated Nylon 6,6.

I am also selling some extra reinforcing material I have. The material is a CT5K.18 1.50oz in Standard Gray for $10.00 Lineal FOOT.. CT5K.18 is the most common cuben fiber material used for Reinforcing Patches on Tarps and Tents since its super strong and highly abrasion resistant.. This material weighs 1.50oz per square yard and has a break strength of 190lbs/inch which is almost twice that of CT2K.08.

The products are located on my website LawsonEquipment.com and all orders over $10.00 ship free.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have received a few emails asking if this material is reflective so I figured I would go ahead an post a comment on here. This material is NOT Reflective. This is the standard translucent CT2K.08 in a custom yellow color.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I just decided. In the spirit of the Holiday's I am going to sell the CT2K.08 for $20.00 yard until December 31. After that the price will go back up to $25.00 yard.

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

i may be placing an order….if only you had shock cord….

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

How well does 1.5 oz cuben sew? Is it ok to just sew it and not bond? I'll just be sewing cord channels on each side, and some reinforcing/tie out loops to it (or a terra nova tent, to replace their weird reinforcing strip). My machine doesn't reliably go lower than about 8 stitches per inch I think, give or take, might be 10 depending on the fabric.

I have a little project that needs a roughly 1 foot strip like that, but I don't want to get into bonding and all that at the moment.

The .74 cuben is tempting too.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Heavy cuben sews easily. You can get some enlarging of stitch holes
    if you really stress it, but it won't tear and is stronger than most backpacking fabrics
    save heavy cordura.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

As Dave said. It sews just fine. I personally think both materials are suitable for sewing especially if you use a really thin needle and a longer stitch.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

The material is going pretty quick but there is still quite a bit of material left for sale.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

A shout out to Lawson!

After giving up on finding a brighter colored cuben for a poncho, I find that Lawson has some….at a Super deal…. with free shipping to boot! I see that he also carries titanium stakes at the best price I'd seen…so ordered two of those as well. He later emailed saying the stakes were on him since he forgot to add them to the invoice. Thinking that was nice, I just received my order and find that he threw in 2 additional stakes for a total of 4. Very kind of him! Nice looking stakes too.

I wouldn't hesitate ordering from him again or recommending him to others. Nice dude, prompt, kind, good product, etc.

rusty

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hi Everyone,

As most of you know. I am currently not making tarps but I have quite a bit of CT2K.08 .75oz in yellow that I am selling on my website for $20 per yard. Over the last few weeks quite a few people started asking me if I could cut a tarp for them. At first I was hesitant but now I figured what the hell.. So for $25 I will cut the tarp for you.

I am going to start off with the flat cat design which is my 9'x9' flat ridgeline, cat cut edge design and then add the fastpacker which is the full cat cut tarp and then the hammock hex which is designed specifially for hammocking.. I will add a new design every day or so until the material is gone.

Basically this is for those of you who want to make your own cuben fiber tarp but don't have the space to cut the tarp yourself. The material comes cut in two panels, stacked and ready to go. For the FlatCat, you will need to buy 6 yards of material + the cut fee + any CT5K.18 reinforcing you might need. 1' of CT5K.18 is plenty for one tarp or tent.

Thanks,
    Lawson

Flat Cat Tarp

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I added the Fastpacker cut fee to the website. Its also $25 and requires 6 yards of CT2K.08

Thanks,
    Lawson

Fastpacker

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I went ahead and added the hammock hex as well. Its also $25 and requires 7 yards of CT2K.08

Thanks,
    LawsonHammock Hex

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

Hey lawson, Im interested in making myself a ground sheet. First how much cuben do you think i need for say 90" long 36"ends and maybe 42 in the middle.

and second whats a good design for this? just buy 90" and cut the width from the 54"? is there any way to use less cuben and bond or sew?

and finally if I wanted to get 90" that would be 2.5 yds. is there a way to put that in the cart?

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

At this time, all I am selling is full yardage. With that said, you could buy 3 yards and then use the extra for stuff sacks, sit pads, rain cape, etc..

Or you could buy a 2 yard piece and cut it down the middle and then sew it together.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Ok after posting on here last night and sending a newsletter, quite a few people asked if I could supply them with a full kit. So those who were interested, here you go..

The kit includes the CT2K.08 .75oz material already cut to the shape of the desired tarp, 2 yards of 3/4" nylon grosgrain, 8 line loc 3's, and a piece of CT5K.18 reinforcement that measures 12"x27" which is big enough to reinforce one tarp. Basically its everything you need to build your own tarp minus adhesive and thread.

Prices are as follows:
    Flatcat $150
    Fastpacker $150
    Hammock Hex $170

LawsonEquipment.com

The prices are artifically cheap because I have extra cuben fiber laying around that I am not using.. Once the material is gone, there will never be a way to offer this deal again..

Thanks,
    Lawson

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

Man, I've been wanting to may a hammock hex with doors but just don't have the money right now, this would have been a great opportunity!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools