Topic

Boots for Michigan and East Coast Winters

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Boots for Michigan and East Coast Winters

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi folks,

I am moving to Michigan from Europe soon and think my -15C rated Scarpas will not be warm enough.
    Intended use will be for General hiking, snow shoeing and East Coast steep stuff with crampons.

Any recommendations.

Cheers,

Stephen

chuck w
    BPL Member

@kcwins

Locale: WY

First, welcome to MI. Some of the best BPing in the Midwest is right here. NMI, MRT, NCT, HCP, Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore, Porcupine Mtns., Isle Royle, etc….

I use Sorel's for my winter activities. I'll have to check on exactly what model they are, but they are comfort rated to -60* F and cost around $190…. I think.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Chuck,

Thansk for the reply.

Cheers,

Stephen

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hiya Rog,

Hope all is well mate.

Cheers for the recommendations, those boots do look nice and warm :-)

Happy Holidays :-)

Stephen

Ben F

@tekhna

I'm rocking the momentums, they're awesome.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Cheers Ben,

I just tried a lower volume foot bed in my Scarpa Freneys and they will allow to wear much thicker socks, I will try them out oin the cold when I move to Michigan in a month :-)

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

It's not that cold here yet. Not much to climb unless you go th da UP eh. We use the Baffin Terrains for most of our off trail stuff. plenty warm, but they are waterproof. When we need total breathability and deep cold – we go to custom mukluks made by empire canvas.

Welcome,

Dave

link: http://www.zappos.com/baffin-terrain

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Dave,

Cheers for the info.

Those boots certainly do look very warm indeed, I will check them out.

Thanks,

Stephen

rOg w
    BPL Member

@rog_w

Locale: rogwilmers.com

deleted

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi Rog,

I think I will keep the Freneys if they are warm enough for steep stuff back east.
    I will definitley get a pair of uber warm flexible boots for putting in the mileage in Michigan.

Cheers,

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Here's what I currently use:

http://bushcraftscience.blogspot.com/2010/12/footwear-for-really-cold-weather.html

Camuks by Steger Mukluks are a similar, better-fitting, more durable, but more expensive solution. I'm trying to convince myself I don't need them, but we'll see. :)

None of these are suitable if you need stiff boots for mountaineering.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

Andy,

Good system, cool blog. I would only go the steiger route if you can dry them out by a fire or bring them inside at night. We tried them a few years ago and it was difficult to get the liners out at night to wear in our sleeping bag. They would freeze to the shells. Kind of expensive also.

One of our members, who wasn't satisfied with the commercial options available, took a pair of the rubber overboots and cut off the top and attached a custom breathable nylon upper – two nested felt liners, a neo insole and a frost plug and he was done.

Of course if you use a VBL all of the above is mute, but my feet get funky in a VBL after a couple of days.

Nice to hear other options – especially cost effective ones !!

Dave

Paul Hope

@paulhope

Stephen,

Your Freneys will be fine for active winter use, vertical ice and general mountaineering. My suggestion is to carry a pair of chemical toe warmers, put those between you inner and outer sock and that should be plenty.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Hi folks,

Thanks all for the info.

Happy holidays,

Stephen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools