Topic

Water repelency of Momentum 90

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Water repelency of Momentum 90

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    J F

@slimjim

When used as a bivy w/o tarp, how much rain protection does M90 offer? I see it used in a lot of bivys but it's not listed as WPB, just DWR. What's your experience?

SJ

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Richard tested some for me and it gave a result for Hydrostatic head of 632 mm.

Dion Dixon

@rangymouse

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns.

So… That would make it more water resistant than waterproof?

Sorry, I am interested in this as well, and am not well versed in what the Hydrostatic Head means. Wikipedia mentions 1000-1500mm as being shower proof. That correct?

If so, the this material is really only usable for non-waterproof applications such as jackets and bivies, right?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

632 mm refers to a pressure, expressed as a height of water, that the water resistent/proof material would resist.

632 mm = 0.632 meters = 24.9 inches = 2 feet depth of water.

Now, you are rarely under two feet of water, right? And if you are, a little leakage in your outerwear is the least of your worries. But you can actually get pretty high pressures under pack straps and where creases and folds form.

So don't take the water column height literally, but use it as a comparison. Ideally get to a location where you can compare different garments (I know REI in Seattle has a rain booth – basically a shower stall where you can test rainwear under a downpour). But generally, the more waterproof, the less breathable.

Personally, I tend towards something pretty waterproof but with pit zips and other ways to ventilate.

Very, very waterproof (and very, very cheap): trash compactor liner bag.

Very, very breathable: take off the trash compactor liner bag.

Above the collar, I like a Seattle Sombero in cold weather or an unbrella in mild / warm weather.

Paul Nanian

@paulnanian

M90 is neither waterproof nor waterproof breathable; you need a primary shelter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools