Topic

Packing Out Unsavory Detritus

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Packing Out Unsavory Detritus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Dont understand the problem.

In 5 days I might take 3 poops. Would probably use a total of 3 baby wipes, if I took them at all. Packing them out in a couple of ziplocks is hardly difficult.

If you assume the correct position, there is nothing left to wipe, just like your dog. If it makes you feel better, wipe with natural materials first then finish up with some nice TP. You will use barely any at all.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"In 5 days I might take 3 poops."

And some might take 5, others might take 10. And some people might just not be agile enough to to assume the correct position.

I use TP, I admit it :)
    When I was in the military I spent days on end in some pretty crappy places (pun intended) with out TP. TP is advanced technology of civilization :)

However in some areas of over-use it is not permitted. That I have no problem with. But for a longish trip, I would probably take the natural materials route instead of hauling it out, especially if temperatures are warm enough to melt the real M&Ms in my pack.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

My point is, especially when having to pack out, even if you have the TP, try to minimize the use of it. Save it for the final cleanup, not the brunt of really messy work. Its still in your best interest to do so, and you really shouldnt end up with much at all.

Not to be too graphic, but the full squat position is how nature intended us humans to do it, not sitting on a log, or even a toilet seat. Small kids have to be taught to sit on the potty, they squat instinctively.

As well, a little (or a lot) of oatmeal in the diet can help tremendously too with reducing the need for wiping materials.

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools