Topic

Got a Wheeler/Wilson

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Got a Wheeler/Wilson

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I was at my mom's this weekend and asked what she was going to do with that old machine that always sits in the spare room in the corner, she said my niece wanted it for decoration, when ever she gets her own place, which may never happen since she's off to collage now. Looks like I have it now! It came with the original trendal cabinet, and as far as I can tell by the ser.# it was built in 1878. I took it to the shop to have it serviced, and to buy a new belt and some needles/bobbins, as soon as I get it back I'll post some pics. They say these are really good straight stitch machines. My mom got it from her brother before he passsed away, I guess he had quite a few of them, he used to do a lot of upolstery/fabric sewing, infact my whole family on my mom's side had a sewing business at one time or another, guess it's in the blood, who knew.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Sounds pretty sweet. Nice score, bro.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Here's a few pics of the Wheeler & Wilson in the original cabinet. This thing puurrs like a kitten, "I LOVE THIS THING"

wnw

wnw

wnw

wnw

If anyone could help date this for me that would be great, my research shows it was made in 1878, but I could be wrong. It would be nice to get a second opinion.

Thanks, Jack

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Jack, this is not my field of expertise, but I think that serial number points to something newer than 1878. Maybe more like 1890-1895. That's still before my time.

I'll bet it doesn't have any plastic gears.

Edit: The serial number plate seems to indicate that it was made after 1892.

–B.G.–

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Thanks Bob. Some of the research I did said that the ser.# didn't always conicide with the date it was built, kind of confusing, but it's old to say the least.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Jack, you could treat it like an antique, or you could treat it like a modern tool.

Whichever, it needs to be taken care of.

The 1892 date wouldn't show on the plate if it was made prior to then.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Very cool Jack. I've got an old Singer on a treadle base that looks like that. It's been sitting in the garage for a very long time. Been meaning to give it away.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Thanks Doug, I seen the pics of your dog, and I'm glad she's doing better. When are you going to start making you're own gear?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools