Topic

material for alky stove windscreen

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear material for alky stove windscreen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have a cat stove with heiney pot. I made a windscreen with oven liner but it burned thru after 3 Burns. Any suggestions on what I should use?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Titanium foil

Aluminum flashing

or maybe try tinkering with the spacing between the pot and screen … I've yet to burn out an oven liner windscreen and some folks use aluminum foil (one of Skurka's gear lists mentioned getting 10 days use from AL foil screens)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I concur that heavy-duty aluminum foil should last many days and is really cheap and light. Maybe your windscreen is too tight and is in the flame itself.

A little stiff and sturdier: I don't know how high you need it, but several beer or soda cans could be seamed together for various diameters up to 4" high. Very, very cheap from the recycle bin.

Next sturdier: go to the hardware story and get aluminum, single-wall, rigid ductwork for clothes dryer vents. Available in 3" and 4" diameter, so you can easily make 3,4,6,7,8,9,10,11" diameters by combining them. Let's say you want 5" tall and 10" diameter. Get a 3" x 24" and a 4" x 24". Cut two 5" lengths of 3", cut one 5" length of 4". Clip them all together (they come with male and female seam joints on each edge). With a little practice, you can snap them apart for packing and snap them back together for use. That a few bicycle spokes or wire coat hanger sections and it could also be your pot stand.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Thanks for the input. I have used cans with decent success but am trying to keep my efficiency high with a fairly low clearance between screen and pot. I may have been overly ambitious on this. How much space do you think I need? Any thouhts?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"How much space do you think I need?"

It varies with the stove and the pot and the windscreen, but you want enough space to slip your fingers between the pot and the windscreen. That's probably at least a half inch.

–B.G.–

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

I fold it so it is double or quadruple thickness, lasts for months!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

The screen is burning near where the flame spills up around the bottom of the pot. I think maybe if I cut a conical section of the aluminum sheet(a la caldera cone), I might put enough distance between screen and heat to avoid the melting. Alternatively, I will try the flashing or titanium. Thanks for the ideas.

Keith Bassett

@keith_bassett

Locale: Pacific NW

I have had excellent luck with the flashing.

It will get burnt if you over fuel your alky stove, as I have done a couple times. BUT it is way tougher than foil for not much weight penalty.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools