Topic

BPL Weekend in the Green Mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists BPL Weekend in the Green Mountains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

A few brave soles are taking a trip into the Green Mountains January 13-15th. We are doing Glastenbury Mountain in Southern Vermont. Should be a mellow hike, with unbroken trails. Temps are single digits to 0F at night, high 20's low 30's during the day. Ooops forgot to mention that the gearlist is in my profile.

Thanks for looking, and commenting.

David Skelly

@corporal

Locale: northern ny

Are you looking for for partners for this trip? I live in Plattsburgh, NY and will be on break in between semester during this time. Do you plan on snowboarding? It looks like you will be wearing snowboarding boots?

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

PMed you. No snowboarding on this one, those are my winter boots of choice. I am always looking for more people to ride with, I am hopefully a few weeks away from having a splitboard finished up.

Matt D.
    Spectator

@mirabela

Quote:
    Temps are single digits to 0F at night, high 20's low 30's during the day

You could get that. Then again, you could get daytime highs in the single digits and nights in the 20's below zero … or you could get 48 and rainy. Stay flexible with your plans …

I looked at your gear list. I don't see a puffy insulating piece on there. Worth the weight, IMO. Could be a lifesaver.

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Thanks Matt, the MYOG down sweater is a major alteration on the Thru-hiker down jacket pattern. I eliminated all the extras (pockets, full lenght zipper, synches) and added a hood and an extra half oz of down to get a jacket that has taken me to about -15F with all my extra clothing on, and a full dinner. There is plenty left to go in that jacket. The one thing that is new this year, is I traded a pair of expedition weight fleece pants for a pair of down pants that have about 1" of single sided loft (same as the arms on my jacket), I am hoping these pants will work the same this winter. I am actually using this overnight trip as the final test for those pants because as possible as it is to see double digits below zero in VT in January, it doesn't have the highest likelihood of happening, and I have a trip a few weeks later that should see temps that low.

If the week before the trip it looks like the temps might dip really low, I will probably add an additional pair of thiner leg insulation just to play it safe since these down pants are new. For how this winter is going so far it looks like seeing 47 and rain is more likely, and in that case in eVent we trust.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools