Topic

SMD Lunar Solo Revised

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SMD Lunar Solo Revised

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Hey, long tall people…..see the details at http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/smdnews/126-lunar-solo-revisited-2012.html

Increased peak height (48") and floor length (90"); 6" bathtub floor instead of 3".

Judith Humbert
    BPL Member

@singingwind

Wow, this is so close to what I wish my old Lunar Solo-e had been. The new version looks like it has more useable room and no more stooping inside the tent! Way to go.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Looks good, but other than being 1oz lighter does anyone know what the advantages are vs. the Skyscape Trekker? With the different floor configurations I can't tell which has more usable space inside.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

My quick assessment, based on my having seen all three Trekker models and being a LSE owner/user:

You only need one trekking pole (or collapsable tent pole)for the LSE vs. two for the Trekkers.

Anything you can put under the LSE canopy is easily reachable while remaining under the canopy yourself. The non-entry-side vestibule in the Trekker models can only be accessed from outside the shelter. There is no access from within the Trekker; kinda sucks in the rain or bad weather, especially if you find yourself forced to get up in the night to close (or open) one or both sides of that vestibule. If I bought a Trekker, I'd have another zippered door installed – should add about 1 ounce but vastly improve the ease of use and allow entry/exit from either side should the weather change directions on me during the night, as often happens in the mountains.

The vestibule on the LSE is larger than that on the Trekker.

EDIT: The Trekker is easier and faster to set up than is the Lunar Solo and needs 1 less stake.

EDIT: The LSE can be set up at a wide range of peak heights because the floor floats. The higher you pitch it, the more vertical the perimeter net walls.

EDIT: IMO, You'd have to be desperate to sleep 2 adults in either shelter. Both are one person shelters, not 2. Either is large enough to shelter 2 adults during a sudden storm, but you wouldn't be very comfortable.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Thanks, Bob. Sounds like the LSE has a better vestibule setup, but the Trekker benefits from the hybrid double wall design and is maybe more stable? Any thoughts on how they compare in terms of usable floor space inside the tent?

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Chris, the new Lunar Solo has 26 sq. ft. of floor space. It's arrangement allows enough room for two people to sleep reasonably comfortably. The previous version had slightly more floor space, but the slope of the walls made it more uncomfortable for the second person.

While we've had people sleep two in the Skyscape, I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Both tents are very stable when setup. With it's single pole and pyramid design, I'd give a slight edge to the Lunar Solo.

Ron

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Any chance on a Lunar Solo X in Cuben?

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Thanks, Ron. One more question….do they both accommodate a large neoair (25"x77"x2.5") and long sleeping bag? Seems like they do, but just want to confirm.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

"Any chance on a Lunar Solo X in Cuben?" No current plans according to SMD's Facebook page.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thanks! I did see this:

"We are looking at a tarp only version. It would be compatible with the Serenity NetTent and be a double wall tent. If we do so, it would possibly be done in sil and cuben."

I told someone recently that I thought the perfect shelter for me would be a larger Wild Oasis without the perimeter bug netting and in cuben fiber. This looks like it could be just that. Do you need a beta tester?:)

David Ure

@familyguy

+1 Brad.

A hiking buddy has a Wild Oasis and loves it. Even at 6'1" I don't quite fit. I would LOVE an xl version!!!! Ron…please?!??!

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

Isn't a hexamid tarp basically a wild oasis without the netting? I have both and they're pretty similar.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

True, but it still isn't all that long, and to get full weather protection you have to get the extended beak, roll it up and crawl under it. I think a full zipper door would be easier. I have thought about trying the Hexamid Solo Plus, but a tarp only new Wild Oasis seems like it might be better.

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Sometime after the 1st of the year, we'll be looking at a larger version of the Oasis without the netting but still be compatible with the Serenity. I've got the patterns for it, I just need to make up some prototypes. As to doing a Cuben version, I don't know.

A couple of thoughts on Cuben to consider. With all of our new gear, we do consider the possibility of using Cuben in the design. However, when it comes to actually producing a Cuben version that's a business decision. Since we don't make shelters on demand, doing a Cuben release generally takes about 10K in capitol just to produce a single run. With that kind of money on the line, we want to make sure we can recoup the investment in reasonable time.

Ron

Anonymous
    Inactive

….

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I had orderd a Luner Solo and loved the design, but ultimately decided to return it. I t was simply too big for me and really seemed like a 1-1/2 person tent. At 5'-2", I didn't need so much room, or the extra weight that comes with it.

But I think it's a great tent and would be interested in one that was smaller to be a true solo-size tent that should also be much lighter than 27 ounces with a standard floor.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Susan,

Have you looked at the Wild Oasis? It is a nice shelter, but short, not for people over about 5'9' or so.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools