Topic

MYOG- Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG- Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

I recently made a bivy using a modified version of the lytw8 bivy.
    The bivy is made out of silnylon and m90 with the netting from thru hiker. I made it with only a chest zip. I is 87" by 30" at the head, 36" at the shoulders, and 28" at the foot. The final weight of the bivy with shock cord and the stuff sack is 6.5oz. I was really surprized how easy it was to make a bivy compared to sewing shoulder straps! Here are some pictures of the bivy.
    Comments and critiques are greatly apperciated!
    Thanks
    Dustin
    Bivy Bivy in Stuff Sack with a Stake that is 4.5" long
    Bivy Bivy with thinlight pad and Katabatic Gear palisade
    Bivy Bivy with thinlight pad and Katabatic Gear palisade

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

That looks fantastic. My next bivy will be based on the lytw8 pattern. I made a modified version of the SMD Meteor, but the patterns for the 3d bug net end of it was very frustrating. Turned out ok, but could have been much better. The only thing I'd add to the lytw8t bivy is extra zipper for easier entry/exit.

BM

Nicholas Martin

@namaniac

Locale: SoCal-High Desert

If what you say is true, about it being easier than shoulder straps, then there is hope!!!
    But that thing does look sweet!

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

Dustin, It sure turned out nice! I like seeing all the different versions. Yours in black and gray with the full head has a great look to it and will certainly will be functional.

I tend to agree that a second zip on the side makes entry easier but my intent was to provide a design that at its core was as simple to make as possible, but still function as well as about any bivy around. The single chest zip is easier to sew and it saves about 1/2 oz.

You should be proud of your version!

Jamie

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

Thanks I am happy with the way it turned out! I don't mind wiggling into the bivy at my age and the .5oz is nice to save . I am orderind some more material tomorrow for the next round of bivys!
    Thanks for the great pattern!
    Dustin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools