Topic

Winter layering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Winter layering

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    frank white

@smoky1

Haven't done a ton of winter hiking so this might be a dumb question. I currently have a montbell thermawrap jacket and an alpine light down parka. Could I wear the thermawrap with the down parka over it or vise versa? Could that get me down into the mid twenties around camp?

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

My nephew considers shorts good for 20f. The temp that a system will handle depends on you and your style.

Layering puffy jackets is fine if they fit without overly compressing the insulation. Down as the inner one will probably work better.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I tend to be cold and I still found that layering a Patagonia Nano Puff under my Alpine Light Down Parka worked in the 20s. Toss on a wind shirt over it all for an extra kick.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

The system the OP described is the system I use in temps down to around 0 F. For me the thermawrap jacket fits under the A.L. parka but not vice versa as the A.L. parka is way too puffy.

frank white

@smoky1

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure throwing down parka over the synthetic piece wasn't counter productive and I wouldn't lose any warmth.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I haven't had any problems w/ just my Alpine Light into the teens at camp (base layer, mid-layer and occasionally my windshirt)-I might possibly be a freak of nature however :)

not sure on the cut of the Thermawrap, but my Alpine Light is cut roomy enough to have another thinner insulating layer underneath w/o any trouble

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools