Topic

What to do with all this sil?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear What to do with all this sil?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Addison Page

@nihilist_voyager

Locale: Down the Rabbit Hole!

Bought some 1.1 silnylon the other day to attempt a tarp (should have prototyped with less expensive materials, i know).

Suffice it to say, the success that has met me with both my hammock designs fell quite short in the undertaking of this tarp. Pathetic really. Oh well, live and learn. That toxaway tarp from Arrowhead has my name on it now.

But now I have 8 yards of relatively unused silnylon just itching for the needle. What do I do with it? My thoughts:
    -Some stuff sacks/bishop bag for my hammock
    -Snake skins for my eventual tarp
    -Henley Pack (uses a 36×34 piece of fabric)
    -The hammock-side half of a UQ
    -Wind pants or windshirt?

What do you think?

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

I would definitely try the henly pack.
    Sil is not ideal for a wind shirt or wind pants because its not breathable. they would make good vapor barrier layers though!
    How about a poncho tarp
    or a mountain poncho (there is an myog article somewhere on bpl about that)
    or just a plain ol' monk tarp, super easy.
    or seven gazillion stuff sacks. :)

Adie

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

The Henley pack would be a good decision.

I think a simple flat tarp would be a better decision though. If you were looking to make a tarp in the first place. A nice monk tarp means that you only need to sew a hem along the edges. If you have made a hammock before, it is really the same thing.

Silnylon wouldn't make a good windshirt, but it could make a rain jacket. I've been thinking about doing that soon. You could make a rain kilt out of it as well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools