Topic

What to do with old wool socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What to do with old wool socks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

What do you do with old wool socks that the heels or toes have worn through? Is there a recycling service out there?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don't know, but I hate the fact that I have all these perfectly good socks, except the soles and heels are worn out.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Learn to knit?

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Cut the feet off. Cut a thumb hole a couple inches up from the bottom. Fingerless mittens. Of course, this only works if they are skinny enough to fit your wrists well.

Travis Naibert

@outwest

Cut off toes at mid-arch. Pull them on upside down so the heel is behind my calf muscles and below my knee. Bunch up when hot, scoot down when cold, no need for tights with shorts.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Darn, darn socks!

Seriously, my great aunts and everyone on the Irish side of the family born before 1900 just took as a given that you darned socks to repair the holes. There's a aid, wooden – the shape and size of a goose egg on a stick – that one uses to spread the worn sock onto and add yarn to repair it. As to how to do it, just like tying a bow tie or making a beer-can alky stove, I'd search youtube.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US
    Mark Primack
    BPL Member

@bufa

Locale: Cape Cod and Northern Newfoundland

At this joyous time of year when charity is in our hearts, provide the wool to a needy family of mice. Best if done in the home where those needy little creatures can also scavenge food and materials from your still useable cloths and find a little warmth as well. Remember: Mice are people too!

Sergiy Sosnytskiy
    BPL Member

@ssv310

Locale: Ukraine

David Thomas wrote "There's a aid, wooden – the shape and size of a goose egg on a stick – that one uses to spread the worn sock onto and add yarn to repair it."

My grandmother used a burned-out light bulb for that.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Stuff with cedar shavings and use as sachets. Cheap, and your clothes will never smell musty again.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Steven: Thanks for posting the video, it made it completely clear how to darn socks. For hiking, I would taper the weft and warps more – take some of them further into the original sock and some not so far so as feather the patch/original junction more.

Everyone ought to buy the pack of six speciality needles (about $2.79 at the supermarket or fabric store) to get a glover's needle for your BP repair kit. A glover's has a very sharp point for going through leather and can be used on the trail (with dental floss) to repair a lot of things. But then you'll also get a darning needle for fixing your sock back at home.

james w glenn
    Spectator

@bark-eater

I use old wool socks as padding for my fragile and rust prone woodworking tools. The wicking, insulating and moisture controlling property's of wool make socks ideal for this purpose.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah with a few drops of oil…

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yea, you use them as rags on your automobile. Or rags used in cabinetry finishing process via stains or dye's. Or as rags refinishing your cabinetry. Or put a tennis ball in them and use said sock to throw said ball for your dog.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I really can't darn them as the holes have gone too far. I did patch them with some jeans patches but still have way too many of them as I only did that last year to a ten year supply of holed socks.

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Wear really thin sock liners under them, like Wigwam Gobi's. This will carry you for a month or so until you learn to darn them .

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

I knit them into a really smelly sweater.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

I always manage to lose one before I need to repair them…

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Re: "1983 sock cozy option"
    That's what I do for a swimming suit.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Easy, in theory. Send 'em back to Darn Tough and get a new pair. Theoretical only because I've never worn out a pair.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools