Topic

VX07 For Pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear VX07 For Pockets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I'm working on my pack now, and am using some dimension polyant VX07 for the first time. I think it is going to be a good fabric choice for me. I just need a tad bit more than sil.

What I am curious about is if anyone has used it to make pockets on a pack. I plan to use some silnylon for the drawcord top closure, because I don't think the VX07 would cinch nearly well enough for that. On the front of my pack, I plan to have a wrap around pocket with shockcord going through the top of it. Does anyone have experience doing this type of construction with VX07? Does it gather well enough for it?

I'd like to use the VX07 for this pocket , but I also have plenty of mesh and silnylon to use as well, if it just isn't going to work out. Thanks for any information.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It doesn't gather very well. A short silnylon 'cuff' might be useful.

Cheers

Christopher Zimmer
    BPL Member

@czimmer

Locale: Ohio

With vx07 being a litte stiffer, it will not gather as nice, like Roger said. But I have done it before and it worked. I would recommend using some dyneema x for the cord channel, that is my goto choice for the cord channel when I use either mesh or fabric for the pockets.

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Thanks for the information. I had a strong feeling it wouldn't work really well. I think I am going to go with some silnylon for the front pocket. I like mesh, but I am looking for something that will catch on limbs less.

I wish I could afford the price to use some Dyneema X for the drawcord channel, or throughout the pack in general for that matter. I plan to be sewing a lot this coming Spring (several hours a day) and may have the money to work with Dyneema X during that time, but for now, it is 2nd VX07 at $3/yd for me. I couldn't say no to that price.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools