Topic

Down Hoody Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Down Hoody Recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael Fleming
    Spectator

@thecolonel

Could anybody recommend me a good down hoody that would work for spring/summer/fall for general mountaineering in the cascades/rockies, and work for something like Rainier in the summer. Basically just a warm jacket for stops/breaks.

I've been looking at the Patagonia Down Hoody and Fitz Roy but i'm unsure of how much warmth I'll really need.
    I want to get the lightest that I can get away with, but not suffer in. This would be layered on top of a lightweight baselayer, a light softshell, and possibly a hardshell.
    I'm guessing Montbell, Western Mountaineering, Nunatak, or Feathered Friends would get me something great, but i'm trying to stay away from those because of the deals that I can get on Patagonia, Mountain Hardwear, TNF, and so on.

Any recommendations from the big name brands?
    Thanks!

EDIT: Also just checked out the Arc'teryx Atom SV, any thoughts?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

There's a WM Flash hoody in Gear Swap right now.

Ismail Faruqi

@ismailfaruqi

btw I have a Brooks Range Alpini Mountain Anorak Hoody I want to sell… it is harness friendly, tested as warmest in UL Down Jacket SOTM, and has a helmet-compatible hood… pardon for the shameless plug ;)

edit: rated to 15F by manufacturer.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have a Gnar in size large that is 13oz. Nice piece and often on sale.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

This jacket is a thing of beauty at 8 oz. I think it would be a nice belay jacket for mild conditions. The hood and gaskets at wrist and hem will help to maximize warmth from the meager amount of down. My windshirt is 5 ounces!

I paid $100 at Steep and Cheap; Currently it's $125 at Backcountry, list is $179.
    http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hadron-down-anorak-mens

Haven't used it outside as it was an impulse purchase and after reviewing my gear closet and my daughter's… she's getting it for Christmas.

Michael Fleming
    Spectator

@thecolonel

Thank for all of the suggestions.
    Would these sub-14oz jackets work on Rainier in the summer though? I'm really unfamiliar with the temperatures in the Northwest since I'm on the complete opposite side of the country.
    Thanks!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

I like the brooks range ones, warmer then the MB Alpine Light. Be aware – last years model you had to size up. I'm usually a medium & a large fits like a medium. Its also quite delicate.
    If this just for breaks or if you had to bivy?
    I'd say that 100g of synthetic insulation is the least you would want if you were trapped on route overnight, those other coats you mentioned seem heavy. I'd look for something around 1lb that was as warm/weatherproof as possible – or wear it under your shell in rain.

Also, I think a bothy bag is amazing for stops/breaks

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Michael, read the ENTIRE tread that Anna listed. Rainier in the summer can just be a long hike or if like last summer (wet and cold at sea level) you might find yourself stuck in a storm. Every couple decades we have a rash of folk parish on the mountain for a variety of reasons, don't be one of them.

Here is a picture of my brother and me on the DC route in the 70's, I'm the one with no gloves (I was passing him btw). I don't have any recent pictures handy-Tad-Brad on Rainier

I wouldn't suggest you hike in a pair of 501's, but in those days we would run down to REI (one store back then) and rent boots, crampons, ice axe, and rope and then go climbing. I never got a blister with those old rented boots.

Edited to add: Stopping to rest on Disappointment Clever. Love the zink! Mt Rainier 1974

I just noticed that I was only wearing the levi's (no base on bottom) and a pair of gym socks, turtle neck and lightweight wool shirt. Boy was the clothing different back then. Of course at 17 I was missing a few brain cells as well. I did have all my gear with me in the pack so if needed I had it. I think this was the best trip weather and snow conditions I've every heard. There was a supper bright, full moon allowing us to climb all night without the need for light, we only brought them out for one hairy crevasse crossing. You know one of those nights that you see your shadow.

Michael Fleming
    Spectator

@thecolonel

Oh wow I completely skipped over that link. Thanks for that!
    All the guiding services list tons of clothing to bring, but I guess it's because they are expecting the worst (although I don't want to do a guided trip).
    Thanks for the info!

Brian Austin

@footeab

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Honestly, if $$$ is an issue I would go with synthetic. Can buy 2 cheaper jackets for the price of one down jacket. Especially if you wish to use it in Rockies and the NW. Moist environment synthetic is better. Besides most of the time we abuse said jackets and wear them when its actually raining or we move/sweat in them when we really should have taken them off and gone a bit cold. By Rockies I am assuming Wind River Range Northwards. Colorado Rockies are just way different to me. Anything over 10,000 feet can always be VERY cold VERY quickly. Its only ever truly warm when the sun is shining. Exceptions IMO are the Sierra and Colorado but not always.

I have a FF Helios with hood. $200 It is fine for everything other than Ranier/Baker though I generally don't ever use it. Typical Ranier is WIND and COLD. A 1lb down jacket will never be sufficient for such conditions unless you are moving in it. Unless you plan on always moving and never being injured. Personally I think that is a stupid way to do it, but I have done Ranier that way more than once so what does that say about me? =)

Then again I get to pick when I go as well as I live right at its base and its all of a 2 hour drive if that. For those who can't pick their dates, taking a 1lb jacket is foolish IMO.

If I had to buy a down jacket, I would buy the FF Volant with hood. 22oz 9oz fill $400 Event $350 Epic Fabric. This type of Down jacket is the only real "point" at which down is truly needed IMO. Anything less and synthetic is far cheaper and better IMO.

NOTE: Place the down garment OVER your rain/wind jacket not the other way around as your jacket will crush the down and you won't get much insulation value out of it.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

For Summer climbing on Rainier, I would recommend the following:

Feathered Friends Daybreak Hooded Jacket

In combo with a lightweight windbreaker + lightweight fleece, it would be highly versatile.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools