Topic

Henry Coe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Henry Coe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Locale: Oregon

anybody been to henry coe this time a year. How's the water conditions and weather.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

There should be water by now. By February, you can get decent stream crossings, but I suspect they're minimal right now.

Weather is getting a little cooler, but still quite temperate. January and February can get frost, but I never got that in December. In any case, it will be predictable – check the forecast before you go. Little chance of rain, generally.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

There is very little water in the creeks. The ponds and lakes are there in all their usual tannin-filled muddy glory. Springs are also pretty low.

Earlier this week I nearly froze someone at Frog Lake – ice has been developing in the waterways of the park each night according to the staff and other backpackers I talked to. It was probably in the 20s and lower at Poverty Flat, which is hands down the coldest place in the park.

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I was there last weekend and did a day hike to Kelly and Coit lakes from HQ. I didn't see any water I would be willing to drink with just my Aqua Mira and bandana. The only flowing water I saw all day was a trickle near Madrone Soda Springs. The narrows was dry with a few stagnant pools of green/brown undrinkable water. My recommendation would be to wait and go after a rain storm or bring a coffee filter and a pump-style water filter.

Andrew

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

How was Kelly and Coit Lakes?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

The lakes are nice, especially Kelly Lake. I saw several hawks, a white-tailed kite and even a golden eagle, the first one I've seen at Coe. Kelly Lake and Coyote Creek are two of my favorite spots in the park, so it was nice to combine them both in one hike. I havent been to the Orestimba Wilderness yet but now that I know I can crank out 25+ mi in a day at Coe I think I will try going there on a long weekend once the water shows up. I would recommend either approaching or leaving Kelly Lake via Kelly Cabin Canyon as that section next to the creek was beautiful.

Andrew

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Are the lakes frozen at all. would you recommend using aqua mira and a bandana with the water from the lakes?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

I wouldn't drink the lake water without filtering it – the water is dark brown with lots of stuff floating in it. I don't think the lakes ever freeze, except maybe a little ice on the shore after a cold night.

Frank H.
    BPL Member

@porker110

Thanks for the info. I guess i'll bring my filter then.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

d

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

You did read it right Timothy. Also we are having our annual BPL meetup on Presidents Day Weekend in Feb. If you are around during that time you are more than welcome to attend. The announcement is in the Trip Announcement section

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

d

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools