Topic

Does Primaloft/Climashield/etc. need “down proof” fabric?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Does Primaloft/Climashield/etc. need “down proof” fabric?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Looking a making a super warm balaclava with Polartec Powerdry inner lining and filament insulation. Outer will be lightweight nylon. Will the insulation migrate/poke through the Powerdry and be annoying?

Thanks,
    Jim

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I don't think so. I cut up an old sleeping bag and made a vest out of it. The insulation seems pretty stable.

Jim W.
    BPL Member

@jimqpublic

Locale: So-Cal

Thanks

I'll give it a try.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Many years ago, I bought some Thinsulate Liteloft 110 to make some insulated salopette liners. When it arrived, I opened the bag up, and revelled in the lovely soft warmth… So much so that I stuck my face in it.

As it turned out, this wasn't a great idea, and my forehead came up in a rather angry, red allergic reaction. It subsided fairly quickly. My conclusion was that I'd been 'spiked' by a stray fibre, and this had triggered an immune response.

Some PL comes with a scrim fabric. I'd be tempted to suggest looking for this, and putting the scrim on the PowerDry side.

Of course, I might just have been unlucky or especially sensitive to fibres of that nature for some reason, and you might not have any trouble at all.

* I used Pertex 4 for the shell, and have never had any repeat of the problem. They've been in use, on and off, since 1997, and survived almost being cut from my body by the staff in A&E in Briancon, France. Fortunately, I pointed out the nice series of velcro closure tabs down the outside, just in time…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools