Topic

2012 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2012 Alaska Mountain Wilderness Classic gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Keeping the stove at home? What about just using an open fire? When it's super wet out, I just eat cold until I get to camp at night, and spend the effort getting a splitwood fire going to dry off all my stuff and eat a hot meal.
    If you are going through tundra though, then that might not be an option.

ROBERT TANGEN
    Spectator

@robertm2s

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Has anyone else actually tried out Rab’s new Boreas, which may be unique, the only garment on the planet that is a hooded base layer plus a rain-resistant wind shirt? I often wear mine as my only upper-body garment. My experience means nothing, but noted mountain climber Nils Nielsen says: “The last month I’ve been in the French and Swiss Alpes climbing and guiding. Almost every day I’ve been wearing the new Boreas top…. The Boreas is a thin pull-on with a hood, it breaths well, but is still quite windproof. And the hood is super good when it’s windy. The stretchy fabric makes it fit good both with and without a helmet. And the small chest pocket also works well as a stuff pocket and is easily clipped to the harness on warm pitches in the sun.” I believe the Boreas also won an award from some magazine. I liked my first one so well, I bought a second, larger one to go over a Pata-Gucci R1 Hoody. If it’s windy but not cold, I flip up only the Boreas hood, if it’s cold but not windy, I flip up just the R1 hood, and for cold, windy… well, you get the idea.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Robert, I'm a huge fan. It's been a great layer for BC skiing thus far. I expect it to be fairly bug proof too.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Your camera weighs nine ounces. Tough to leave at home I know, but it accounts for 8% of your carried weight (excluding rafting stuff). How about bringing a four or five ounce point and shoot? It will still capture the trip, be less bulky, and shave a 1/4 pound.

P. Larson

@reacttocontact

1) Sleep socks? Nobody sleeps during the Classic. =)

2) After you figure out the 7K calories at 140 cal/oz, could you PLEASE post that?? I'm highly interested!

Justin Baccary

@justin-baccary

Dave, I'm trying to get a better understanding of your legwear. Are the Speedwork tights basically mid-weight running-style tights? So your layers are the tights as baselayer, then your "Powerstretch knickers" added as extra warmth (I'm envisioning cut-off Patagonia R1 pants) and your boating pants if necessary? Do I have that right?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Not leaving the camera. Might bring a different (waterproof) one.

Justin, you have the legwear correct.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools