Topic

Jacks ‘R’ Better Sierra Stealth Quilt Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Jacks ‘R’ Better Sierra Stealth Quilt Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Answers a lot of questions I had about these looking for a 45*F solution for next summer. Great little write-up.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Good review. Considering the price of a quilt and a insulated jacket thats a good value.
    Personally though as I've said before I'm leery of using single down item for both sleeping and wearing. I'd be really worried about ripping it, getting it wet or melting a hole in it. On the other hand I'm thinking I might make a synthetic version in the feature. Sythetic could be washed easier, and a small hole in a synthetic quilt would not ruin it.
    Thanks for the review, I might be referencing it for a MYOG project someday.

Jake Palmer
    BPL Member

@jakep_82

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I disagree about removing the the drawstring at the head. I get a much better seal on cold nights when I tighten up that drawstring. Without it I don't stay as warm.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

" I get a much better seal on cold nights when I tighten up that drawstring. Without it I don't stay as warm."

+1

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

– Don't wrap the quilt under the pad, especially such a big pad as in the review. Buy some 1/16th in shock cord and mini line locks (I bought from Zpacks) and string up the 6 tabs on the back. This works great to keep the drafts away. I also lost some weight on the quilt and did some sewing:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=49393&disable_pagination=1

– I protect this wearable down quilt just as much/little as I do a down jacket while in camp. It stays relatively close to body and I haven't damaged it yet during camp chores. Of course going SUL is going to mean having items that are multi-use, just part of the game.

– You ~can~ drop a trail jacket from your gear list that is an insulating piece to your kit with this wearable quilt. Just buy the JRB down sleeves to supplement around camp on especially cold 3 season nights. They weigh ~5 oz and also are multi-use in that I don't need to carry heavy duty socks for sleeping at night, I just take the sleeves off my arms and wear them as massive leg warmers, work great and saves weight in my pack.

GL!

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

" I get a much better seal on cold nights when I tighten up that drawstring. Without it I don't stay as warm.

+1"

+2 – using the top drawcord around your neck, not tightly, (which I replaced with a lighter one than JRB uses) not only reduces drafts around neck and shoulders, but also helps pull the sides in a bit toward the body for extra warmth and reduced air infiltration around the torso.

Jeremy Olson
    BPL Member

@kayaker7775

Locale: Midwest

I love this quilt. It works better than any other sleeping bag or quilt I have used. The weight vs size vs warmth is fantastic. I keep very warm in this quilt.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I have the same observations about down migrating to the sides of the quilt where it doesn't do much good. Yes, I can shake back towards the centre of the quilt fairly easily, but I would rather have the insulation stay where it belongs in the first place, that is: the upper torso where I need it the most.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

I understand where you are coming from, but some people enjoy the shiftability in that for really hot nights, shift the down to the sides…for really cold nights shift it to the top. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

Moving down around seems to make some sense in a full bag. Arguably one might wish to shift insulation from the bottom (where it is compressed anyway) to the sides or top of the bag, but obviously this technique does not apply to a quilt. As you say; different strokes.

john Tier
    Spectator

@peter_pan

Locale: Co-Owner Jacks 'R' Better, LLC, VA

Timing is everything…The JRB 3 day Holiday Secial on the Sniveller Style quilts ends tomorrow, 8 Dec at noon…So Sierra Stealth are $20 off in either 800 or 900 fill (actually 900 regulars just sold out, but we there are more under construction so any ordered by the end of the sale will be delivered before Christmas). Plenty of 800s and Long models in stock.

Pan

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable%20Quilts.htm

Jesse Taylor
    BPL Member

@ahikernamedgq

That looks exactly like a DIY quilt from a Swedish website by a really talented DIY gearmaker named Anders Johanssen (www.andersj.se). The only difference is the color.

Larry Dyer

@veriest1

Locale: Texas

"I don't need to carry heavy duty socks for sleeping at night, I just take the sleeves off my arms and wear them as massive leg warmers, work great and saves weight in my pack."

Ingenious!

A JRB quilt is definitely on my list of wants now. I always have trouble keeping my feet warm and this little trick should prove invaluable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools