Topic

Climashield 2.5?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Climashield 2.5?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Does anyone have some inside scoop on where Climashield 2.5 is still available, or if it will be available again? I really want to make a summer quilt and the 5 oz seems unnecessarily heavy. (I like how Climashield only has to be stabilized at the edges rather than quilted and I am aiming for comfortable at 60 degrees, and tolerable at 50 degrees.) Any ideas?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Primaloft Sport is pretty similar to Apex, 3oz at thru-hiker

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Primaloft sport has to be quilted so that's put for what the op wants. Ive split 5 ounce In half to make 2.5 but I doubt it's the same clo as manufactured 2.5

Alice Feels Happy

@alice-feels-happy

I just bought 4oz from http://owfinc.com/, not 2.5 but closer to what you want than 5oz.

Dustin Snyder
    BPL Member

@dustintsnyder

Locale: Southeast

William Have you made a quilt out of the split 5oz apex? If so what temperature would you rate the split apex. I am trying to make a summer weight and was planning to split the 5oz apex.
    Thanks
    Dustin

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

I saw where OWFINC carries Climashield in 3.3 oz, 6.0 oz, 9.4 oz., and 11.7 oz. I was not sure how the 3.3 compared to the 2.5 or how these weights compared to what Thru-Hiker sells in 5 oz., whether it was directly proportional in terms of weight and insulating ability or what.

I might reconsider primaloft. Even though it would require quilting for the filling to not shift around I imagine it would just be a quick and easy "sewn through" quilting, still tons easier than sewing baffles and working with down for insulation.

If I am looking at their specs correctly at http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/insulation.asp – it weighs 1.8 oz per yard and lofts 1/4" – 3/8"? I am assuming for a summer quilt I would still want to double it up for 1 to 1.5 inches of loft total?

*edit oops I just see where Thru-Hiker has it in 3 oz and 6 oz. Probably easier and cheaper than doubling a lighter weight up.

Caleb Boyle

@calebb

I recently emailed Thru-hiker about this and supposedly he will have 2.5 Climashield Apex in sometime in the spring.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I emailed Primaloft and they said:

PrimaLoft® ONE: we recommend 15cm (6”) centers for 100g (3.5 oz) weights and greater, 7.5cm (3”) centers for weights less than 100g (3.5 oz).

PrimaLoft® SPORT & ECO: we recommend 61cm (24”) centers for 100g (3.5 oz) weights and greater, 15cm (6”) centers for weights less than 100g (3.5 oz).

I think they're overly conservative.

I have what I think is Primaloft Sport, 3 oz/yd2, and I'm going to sew across the fibers about 24 inches apart, and about 6 feet in the other direction.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

Just to clarify, owfinc.com has climashield HL listed, NOT apex. The clo value of APEX is ~.88/oz but HL is only .68clo/oz IIRC. That's a huge difference in warmth and you should clarify with owfinc before ordering to prevent any sever disappointment (and cold nights in the field).

-Dustin

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I've talked to owfinc on the phone

They said they sell both Apex and regular Climashield, don't mention Apex on the website for some reason, either for some proprietary confidentiality reason (but then thru-hiker does mention Apex) or maybe it's availability

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools