Topic

REI Cruise UL 60 Pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Cruise UL 60 Pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Anybody seen or tested one of these yet? I've been thinking about one of the Granite Gear Nimbus models, but this seems lighter and cheaper. Thoughts?

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

I have not seen the Cruise yet, but I HAVE seen the new Flash UL stuff sack/day pack, so I wanted to share some interesting news about it.

The folks in REI gear development have managed some sort of awesome voodoo magic with the new UL line, because the packs are going to be made out of the substantial tougher fabric like that of the new Flash UL. This stuff feels thicker and tougher than any of the UL packs I've tried, including Granite Gear, Gossamer Gear, the older REI UL packs. But somehow, the weight is the same. My older Flash weighs 9 1/2 ounces. The new ones weigh out at 9 1/4. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed it. It appears they removed one extra panel on the inside that was designed for the ten essentials, but otherwise it is the same. And still at the $25 price.

The Cruise is a tougher modification of the UL 60, and the new fabric will make this a MUCH tougher pack, so that a general backpacking audience can enjoy lighter weight without the normal delicacy associated with lightweight gear. The Cruise only lists at about 3 ounces heavier than the original UL 60.

I would wait until they hit REI shelves and try them instore before I ordered a nimbus. If the suspension is exactly the same as the UL 60, you'll find the nimbus somewhat more comfortable, but very possibly not $100 more comfortable. Just a thought.

Chris Fothergill
    BPL Member

@bwca1964

I own the UL 60 which the Cruise has replaced. The pack was able to carry 40 lbs very well for my 2 week long trips. The fabric could be tougher which was improved. The mesh pockets do have holes from a Grand Canyon Royal Arch trip and felt the mesh should of held up better but that sandstone can be tough on fabric. I do not know if they improve the mesh pockets. I also own a GG Nimbus Ozone but the REI 60 ul fits me better and I have been happy with the pack. For my fit the top weight for the Nimbus was a tad under 35 lbs but it is a more durable pack
    I suggest try both of them on if you can and see which pack fits better.
    Chris

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I'll try to find some place and try them on, although I'm a long way from a decent gear store. And a $100 bucks is a pretty serious deal to me. REI does list these for sale now on their web site, but I didn't order one to see if they actually ship.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Don't have a Cruise, but I have last years UL 60 in a large (actually measures 65 in that size). I have been very pleased with the fit, comfort, and utility. The cinch cord works very well for collapsing the volume. Tougher fabric would be all the better, although I can't say as I've had any problems yet. I do find myself treating it pretty delicately, but I try to do that with all my gear.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools