Topic

SHT December 9th-11th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking SHT December 9th-11th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Hey everyone!

Well the first snow has fallen and it looks like it will stick around!

I'm planning on doing a trip the weekend of December 9th on the Superior Hiking Trail and thought I'd see if anyone is interested in coming along.

Right now the plans are to meet up at a trailhead Friday evening, hike in a bit to make camp then do 12 to 15 miles Saturday with 10-12 miles on Sunday. I'm not set on doing and particular sections of the trail so we can hike whatever people want.

There shouldn't me more than a few inches of snow on the ground so no snowshoes would be required and the pace won't be bogged down. Temperatures look to be in the mid 20's for the highs with single digit lows.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

After a bit of planning with my hiking buddy Kim we're going to be hiking from Grand Marais to County Road 70. The trip will be 29.3 miles over two nights and 2.5 days.

We'll be hiking through the Devil's Track, Kadunce River, a nice Lake Superior Shoreline, and the Brule River.

Should be a fun trip. If anyone want's to come along for all or part of it just let me know!

Matt F
    BPL Member

@matt_f

Hey Chad – thanks for putting feelers out for this: it's good to see some other Minnesota folks getting out in winter. Unfortunately, there is literally only 1 or 2 potential weekends that I could get up to the North Shore this winter, and they aren't until March (turns out medicine residencies are busy…), but i love the idea of getting some BPLers together for an occassional winter overnight. I'll let you know if I head north later this year. Keep us posted regarding future trips.

have a blast,

Matt

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Thanks for posting this, but I'm hoping to head up that way when things have cooled down a bit more in Jan or Feb. :)

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Chad — sounds like a great trip. It is at least a 12 hour car trip thru the UP for me. Short notice for me, unless someone in the LP wants to share driving.

Have a good hike and thanks for the invite.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Andy

"Thanks for posting this, but I'm hoping to head up that way when things have cooled down a bit more in Jan or Feb. :)"

Pffft! All that's gona' happen in Jan or Feb is that the daytime temps get lower and we have a few feet of snow.

I can't wait! :)

Rick
    Spectator

@rharjes

Chad, sounds like fun!

Unfortunately I work retail, and December is too busy for me to even think about taking a week off from work. Jan or Feb would be perfect if something were to get organized!

Rick

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Well Rick how about we plan on a trip in the last two weekends of January? I'll post up more details next week.

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Well there has been a change of plans as Kim had to back out.

As such I'll be doing a shorter hike from Castle Danger to Gooseberry Falls State Park where I'll poke around the frozen waterfalls and maybe get lucky and sleep in one of the stone shelters down by the lake.

I don't think I'll be hiking more than 12 miles the first day and ten miles the second day.

Still should be a fun trip even with no real snow on the ground yet!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools