Topic

STS potters county PA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning STS potters county PA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Has anyone here ever completed the STS trail.., I was wondering if it would be worth my 6 hr drive from south jersey?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I just did this a couple of months ago with a friend. I agreed with his description when he said: "it is a walk in the woods." Not a lot of views from high, but quite a variety. The STS guide was really helpful in detailing the geology and history of the various sections of the trail. Personally I liked the Black Forest Trail (shorter but more strenuous climbs)and the Quehanna Trail better. I'd say it is worth doing once, but I wouldn't do it again by myself. However I have to say on all my hikes in WVA and PA, I've only seen bears on this hike.
    Mark

Chris Bell
    BPL Member

@hobbit

Locale: PA Wilds

Happy to help with any info on the STS trail conditions etc. Living here in Potter Co I help with the trail upkeep and am out on it frequently.

Agree, the BFT and Quehanna are very nice trails and out on the BFT quite often.

Black bears, plenty to see… Potter county lead the state again in the black bear harvest during last weeks hunting. Also the largest 746 lbs.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Man that's a whole lot of black bear…

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

so when would you say the best time to go would be? are there any good trout brooks/streams? Nothing like some fresh trout on the trail.. Also was wondering what kind of mileage can be expected from an average fit person?

Chris Bell
    BPL Member

@hobbit

Yes, Plenty of native trout in several areas along the way. Also some of the streams are stocked with rainbows.

I hike the loop once a year whether I need to or not When to hike depends on what you want to carry and what conditions you like the most.

Earlier in April is nice as I like the cold but can get a week long stretch of sunshine in there. The water is higher and some very wet areas here and there, hill side seeps etc. No leaf cover that time of year and can actually be very bright with sun reflection off the snow pressed leaves. Sunglasses required.

Often have gone in the spring of mid to late May when the green is just coming out. Have to time it just before the biting black flies, gnats, come out. They can be a bother around some of the streams.

First couple weeks of June gets you beyond most of the soggy sections, they are much drier at this time. Black gnats are basically gone. Ferns are not fully crowding the trails as they are still small. Can see the rattle snakes if need be. Much past mid June and the growth along the trail hids them pretty well. Just two sections of trail really have timber rattlers but even then you might not come across them. I just seem to attract them. sigh…

There are sections of stinging nettles in some of the damp shaded hollows. Not too much of a fuss walking through them till later in June on. They get quite large. We try to cut them back as we get a chance but some years they dont grow near as tall as others.

Recently I have really enjoyed early November. Still some hardwoods with leaves on and yet the woods are open for more views as you walk along. Typically a good week of sunshine comes in about that time before it gets rainy and cold.

Much past mid Nov to the end of the year and the rifle/shot gun hunting for larger game starts up. I hike mainly other trails that hunters are not on until after mid Dec.

I typically hike around 13 to 17 miles a day. Problem for me as I age is my knees will start to get very sore after 3 or 4 days of that. So when doing a week I should behave myself and do about 10 or 12 miles for the first couple days and then get my trail legs, they dont put up a fight and start feeling fine with 15 miles. I figure most folks could take on the 12 mile days for a 7 day loop.

I cant hike this in 3 days like some animals I know ;)

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

My friend and I did it in 5 days, avg @ 15 miles per day. He had never hiked back t oback 15 miles days much less 4 in a row. He was reasonably fit.
    Mark

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Chris:
    I ment to ask you earlier, I can't find a map for this trail other than that lame black& white one that comes with the guide book. Can't hardly see contour lines.. I have done a lot of googling looking for a color/water proof map with no luck.. Can you maybe point me in the right direction? I think I'm going to give this circuit a whirl..

What would you recommend for a winter gear list??
    Sorry bout all the question..

Chris Bell
    BPL Member

@hobbit

The only maps I know of are the water proof set, 3 of them printed front and back, that come with the orange guide book, Chuck Dillon.

Then there are large maps, 2 of them printed front and back, which are not water proof but larger with more detail. Those come from the STS trail club. They're not high quality, ie tear at folded seams with use, I tape them with clear tape on the seams and then carry them in a zip lock bag.

Bye the way if you have not already been there the clubs web site is:

http://www.stc-hike.org/

RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Chris,

Just out of curiosity, are any of the trails up there in north-central PA threatened by fracking activity?

Chris Bell
    BPL Member

@hobbit

Just a quick summary, In Potter County where almost all of the STS is located there are no wells near the trail. Tioga County to the east has a great deal of activity but so far non right near the trails, ie West Rim Trail. Heading to the south there are non near the Black Forest Trail. However the Chuck Keiper trail does have wells near the trail. Have not been down there since they have been placed. Not sure what the latest news is on the water sources for the Quehanna Trail. There was contamination of the water in that area last year.

RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Thanks… that is really valuable information for PA hikers.

Keep the updates coming when you get 'em.

Doug Wolfe
    BPL Member

@wolfie2nd

Chris
    Looking for current conditions? What do your stomping grounds have to offer with this week winter we're having? Average temps snow depth?
    Thanks in advance
    Doug

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools